Profile Picture

Ford AOD

Posted By Kahuna 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Does anyone know of anyone who has installed a Ford AOD behind a YBlock in a 56 Ford Crown Victoria or Sunliner Convertible?
My "rumor" is that it takes some severe surgery to the cross member to do it? Unsubstantiated?
Thanks
Jim
MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
There are several people here that have done it. I've had mine for several years. I used an AOD out of a 80's Mustang and made up a new trans cross member for it. Nothing complicated though. Its a flat 1/4" steel plate with a 1" piece of box tubing welded to the top. I drilled the trans mount bolt locations into the top of the tube and all the way through. Then I opened up the lower holes to allow a socket to pass through. The base plate is cut to fit under the frame rails and bolted up with 3 7/16" bolts per side. I understand there are some different tail shaft lengths with the AOD's but I don't think a longer one will fit as well. You will also need to have a new drive shaft made.
If you go this way make sure you get the AOD line pressure adjusted properly before driving the car. Once set it is fine but if its off the trans could be destroyed in a couple of blocks. A search online will give you the instructions.
I used a Lokar linkage setup for the kickdown, also an easy install. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

I know the sedans and Tbirds have a different frame, but an AOD in a Bird only requires some grinding on the top rail of the X frame.  Nothing major.

Does require a new trans mount, but again, nothing major to do it.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Kahuna
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Thanks so much, Guys
Very helpful.
Oh, what adapter did either one of you use?
Jim
MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

I used Bendtsen's. I was happy with it. and haven't had any problems with the change over. I'm working on getting my engine out today so I'll take some pictures of the bracket I made for the trans. The spacer they made allows you to use the high torque starters without an adapter. They bolt directly to the adapter. I've never been able to find the starter without some kind of adapter but they are available for scrubs and other cars. One comes with their kit though.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

A friend of mine did the conversion - I only helped him.  I think he used the Bendtsen's

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Here are the pictures of the transmission mount I made. The larger bolt holes at the bottom are just big enough to get a socket through. Makes removing the mount bolts easy. 3 grade 8 bolts on each side and trimmed to match the V of the frame rails. Simple.

Y's guys rule!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter