Profile Picture

55 Faord Fairlane converted to 57 intake, final steps??

Posted By mgcookwv 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I've posted several issues I had when I put a MSD distributor, Holly 08007 4 barrel carb and a 1957 intake manifold.
Happy to report the car is running perfect, all the issues fixed except the trans mission . When I stop the transmission acts like it wants to shit to another gear only briefly.

How do I make the adjustment to get my transmission in sync with my carburetor?
I have a 272 y-block and a Fordamatic  transmission ?
MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Do you have a Motors Manual or detailed manual for your Ford. There are very specific instructions on the adjustment of the kickdown to the Ford O Matic. If set correctly when you push hard on the gas at a stop it will actually take off in 1st gear. Also having the two original springs seems to be important. The amount of spring tension on the linkage that bolts to the intake is important and determines correct shifting.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67217
Scroll down for pictures and instructions.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
2721955meteor
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
moonshado is correct,also trans life is dependent to proper  throttle pressurere the adjustment of linkage .all shifts are controlled  in part by the so called kick down linkage
mgcookwv
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Thank you, I do have a manual on my Ford. I will see if I can do this. Thanks again!!
GREENBIRD56
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
When trying to doctor my '56 T-bird's kickdown linkage, I found that part of the adjustment procedure was in the Ford-O-Matic manual - and part was in the manual for the bird - so be sure to try and locate the necessary books for your outfit. The transmission book had more info in it than the car manual..... 
It starts off with being sure that the accelerator pedal is far enough off the floor to provide sufficient travel to the mechanism. You must first have sufficient travel to provide "wide open throttle" (WOT) (its about halfway to the floor) - then the linkage must travel further into a spring loaded slot where the transmission rod begins to travel downward, operating a valve on the transmission. The principle problem I discovered, was that the new carburetor (a Demon) had a much stronger return spring than the original carb - and all of the "spring balance" built into the unit ....... was therefore upset.  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

Reading This Topic

Site Meter