Profile Picture

Offset grinding 312 crank

Posted By cos 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Hello  I have a almost perfect std. 312 crank. Number 1 rod throw is worn on inside. I doubt a .015 cut will clean it up. I have read on this forum about offset grinding.I also have a set of  .040 cast pistons and rings I would like to use. Scat makes a 6.2 inch H style rod 2-350-6200 with a bushed small end. If I added right should give close to zero deck height. BUT looks as thought i would have to press scruby size bushing 9.855x927x1.066  out. Press in a Scat B912 (assuming it is 9.855x.907x1.306) bushing. Surface big end width .940 down to .876 and trim bushing lenght back to rods small ends width. I have read you can buy a narrower 2 inch bearing (scruby) insert although I don't know if it will work. Will I have interference problems or is there a reason this will not work?  I know there is a lot of buts and ifs here. Thanks for any advice.
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 25 minutes ago
Since Ford and che vy use different wrist pin diameters, you are correct that you will have to make those match somehow.

The che vy bearings and rods will have to be narrowed.  I don't know if there are any made that way that will work out of the box.  You might be able to buy a set from John Mummert since he does produce stroker kits using che vy rods.

Lawrenceville, GA
miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 days ago
I'd definitely talk to John M. He can be hard to track down, but it'll be worth the effort. He can also give you the specs to grind the crank and improve the radius on the rod throws. I've got 2 stoker motors built in John's parts, a 320 and a 340. On the 340 I had to clearance the rods to the cam lobes. Little stuff like that he knows offhand.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter