Profile Picture

Distributor stuck

Posted By baldmustang 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I am working a 56 Victoria. Probably not an original engine. The distributor is frozen in the block. What is the best way to break it loose?
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
If you have time to be patient, penetrating oil, light taps with a hammer and if you are careful, perhaps a torch.

If it needs to be out now, a pipe wrench.  Carefully work it back and forth.  This WILL cause cosmetic damage and could actually break the distributor, if you are not careful.  A torch could help here, as well.

either method is a lot easier if the engine is out of the vehicle.

Lawrenceville, GA
jumpstart
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Baldmustang;  I have ran into this a couple of times. I use PB BLASTER  or Kane Kroil  Spray it around the base and let it set for a day or so , Just give it shot every couple of hours  If you have a strap wrench Go around the base of the Dist. After a day or so give it push. If you can get any movement , spray more  Kano  Kriol  there and go the other way. I have done this some times for two or three days just to get it to move Once you get movement back and forth.   It should free up the more Liquid you use. Also if you can use a flat brake spoon between the block and Dist. to try to get movement up and down.  Also twist it back and forth while trying to go up and down. Use lots of Kano Kriol. Hope that helps. Bob
baldmustang
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)

Thank You. I have been using PB blaster for about 4 days. I am not in a hurry, so I will keep at it. It gave me a flashback to 1961.I was a senior in high school.  I had a 55 2 door that I was using to commute to school. I tried to adjust the timing and the Distributor was stuck. I stopped at a local garage and asked for help. The mechanic tried and failed. I thanked him drove off and I still remember he look in the mechanic's eyes. Now I know, I should have given him a couple of bucks for trying.
Baby Blue 57
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)

baldmustang (4/1/2017)
Thank You. I have been using PB blaster for about 4 days. I am not in a hurry, so I will keep at it. It gave me a flashback to 1961.I was a senior in high school.  I had a 55 2 door that I was using to commute to school. I tried to adjust the timing and the Distributor was stuck. I stopped at a local garage and asked for help. The mechanic tried and failed. I thanked him drove off and I still remember he look in the mechanic's eyes. Now I know, I should have given him a couple of bucks for trying.

2721955meteor
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
i agree with b blue,tho for different reason,the dist is aluminum and will expand more than cast iron.try packing ice around the base for a few hrs. they can be mean to get out. if you get it out a newer 1 with a ring they have more clearance, or get a bit off where the dist goes into the block. and us a gasket as it may leak with the increased clearance
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I have used a co2 fire extinguisher with some light taps works like a charm . Aim right out the base and give it a good shot
john2747
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
NEVER NEVER put a gasket between the distributor and the block.In fords service manual it states that the measurement from bottom of gear to housing shoulder has a .005" tolerance.Using a gasket under the distributor will mess up that measurement.
Lord Gaga
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
baldmustang (3/31/2017)
I am working a 56 Victoria. Probably not an original engine. The distributor is frozen in the block. What is the best way to break it loose?

Clean  the area well and pour hot pariffin wax around the distributor base. Let it sit a few minutes and try again. Worked for me.

"FREE SAMPLE"
oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Same thing for an "O" Ring on the Housing. There is a Groove for One but not used in this Case.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter