Profile Picture

Set of Marine 312 ECZ-C Interceptor Engines w/ transmissions (?)

Posted By NoShortcuts 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Set of Marine 312 ECZ-C Interceptor Engines w/ transmissions (?)

Author
General Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I JUST saw these.  Advertised on eBay as 312s.  Located in Walnut Creek, CA.  Seller indicates that they came out of a two engine boat, but the transmissions are different.  I don't know y-block marine applications.  My understanding is that IF from a two engine boat, one engine rotates the prop in the opposite direction of the other.  I've been told that the marine reverse drive y-block takes a different camshaft.  -I don't know this to be fact.

The eBay seller lists the 2 engines w/ transmissions as a package.  The seller's opening bid is $1,500.  The auction ends in ~17 hours with no bids made presently.  Hard to tell what shape any engine is in from outside pictures.  Seller indicates that engines have not run in years and that aluminum parts have corroded from exposure to the air.

Curious that while both engines are listed as '57 vintage ECZ 6015-C blocks, the casting parting lines on the cylinder heads indicate that one set of heads are post '57.  My thought is that the one set of cylinder heads' outside casting parting lines suggest them being 113 heads.  113s were Ford's replacement heads for y-blocks after ECZ-Gs went out of production circa 1958.

Click the link below to see the eBay listing...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Y-Block-312-Ford-Interceptor-Engines-Transmissions-ECZ-6015-C-/222445666830?hash=item33cacb820e:g:LisAAOSwB-1Yz3ww&vxp=mtr

While both engine and transmission assemblies are said to be complete, I doubt that anyone will purchase them as advertised for $1,500 or anything approaching the 'Buy-It-Now' eBay seller's price.  Anyone purchasing these from outside the CA area would likely pay a fortune to ship these any distance.

The purchase price may be negotiable for these after the auction has ended.  Consider communicating with the seller through eBay before the auction ends IF you're interested.

This is not my eBay listing or my engines.  Hope this helps a Forum member.    Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
I’ve found the marine engines to have a variety of cylinder head castings but 113’s seem to be used frequently on them.

Most marine applications with dual Y’s came with one engine that had a reverse rotation and the other engine being left hand or standard rotation.  The engine with the reverse rotation would be a right hand rotation and is typically stamped with a “R” or “RH” on its front.  The right hand rotation engines still had a camshaft that turned in the normal direction which eliminated having the need for a special reverse rotation distributor.  This was accomplished by using a gear to gear timing setup and the camshaft simply having a reverse firing order.

The right hand rotation engines had a propensity for increased rod bearing wear due to the oil holes in the journal being opposite of where they were normally loaded in a left hand rotation engine.  That rod bearing wear problem was alleviated on the FE marine engines by having a specific crankshaft with revised oil passages.  The reverse rotation Y engines still had rear seal hash marks going in the opposite direction which makes those crankshafts unsuitable in a passenger car application unless the hash marks are ground off.  I've found the reverse rotation 312 crankshafts to be perfect candidates for stroker crankshafts as the rear seal dimension had to be turned down anyhow to fit the cranks in a 292 block.

Some single engine boats also had a reverse rotation engine installed and that was simply to justify having to make a given number of reverse rotation engines to bring the costs of the engines down.  Needless to say, there were more reverse rotation (“RH”) Y engines made than the number of dual engine boats that needed them.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter