Profile Picture

A couple questions

Posted By willowbilly3 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I bought several engines out of an old shop this week, 2 of them are Y blocks and since it was an old ranch with all old trucks setting around, my first assumption is they are truck/pickup engines. The one is pretty obviously truck. It has Holley 4 bbl and the big pressed on double groove water pump pulley with windows. A couple questions on that, is the intake pretty much the same as the 57 car square bore? And how do I tell if it has the forged crank?
 I'm still digging around on the engine I think is pickup. It is a 2 bbl. Holley with the same red paper element air cleaner that my 59 pickup has. I haven't found the numbers yet, it was getting dark when I was scraping around but the block is kind of a light green and I can't find anything on the internet an green Y blocks, other than it might have been a reaman. Comments? It has a spin on oil filter. Also, do you have to cut away the exhaust gasket to find the head number?
Both engines have the exhaust cross over.
Thanks
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Crankshaft ID:  http://www.ford-y-block.com/crankshaftid.htm
I think the intake is the same.  See what the casting numbers are.

Other clues that it may have a forged crank:
Since the forged crank only came in HD engines, look for a 4v intake and an oil pan that drops down only once (rather than twice, which is the standard oil pan)
Make sure the head and block numbers coincide with the time the forged crank was used.

You will be able to see the head numbers with the exhaust gasket in place.  However, '56 and later heads have the numbers under the intake flange:  http://www.ford-y-block.com/cylinderheadchart.htm

Lawrenceville, GA
RB
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
If the engine has an exhaust crossover it is probably not a HD 292.. Those would have rams horn manifolds
willowbilly3
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

charliemccraney (3/23/2017)
Crankshaft ID:  http://www.ford-y-block.com/crankshaftid.htm
I think the intake is the same.  See what the casting numbers are.

Other clues that it may have a forged crank:
Since the forged crank only came in HD engines, look for a 4v intake and an oil pan that drops down only once (rather than twice, which is the standard oil pan)
Make sure the head and block numbers coincide with the time the forged crank was used.

You will be able to see the head numbers with the exhaust gasket in place.  However, '56 and later heads have the numbers under the intake flange:  http://www.ford-y-block.com/cylinderheadchart.htm

The truck crank is round with no crescents or other marks so probably the good one. 4 bbl. intake is ECZ 9425 B, block is C2AE so it's a 62-64 truck. I didn't pull a valve cover and could find no other markings on the heads.
The other engine Has EDB by the distributor making it a 55-57 292 and I found the 6090 under the intake runner and under the rocker shaft but no prefix so I guess I know they are heads,lol.. Crank markings show it to be a 292 but I also noticed the rear cam plug missing and the cam out flush with the block and cocked looking so that block is probably junk anyway.
Thanks for the help guys.
willowbilly3
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

RB (3/23/2017)
If the engine has an exhaust crossover it is probably not a HD 292.. Those would have rams horn manifolds

It has a rebuilders tag so it could be any combination of parts.
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
GooD information from the other Forum members who have responded on this thread.

Some of the 'B' 292 trunk intake manifolds I've seen do not have the heat tube in the bottom of the manifold to supply the automatic choke heat stove.  Perhaps the carb had a manual choke or perhaps the heat tube ran to the passenger side exhaust manifold.

In the Forum Archive is information on identifying cast cranks vs. forged cranks.  Below is a link to a picture of a forged steel 292 crank.  IF you move up and down on that page there may be some other info that you're interested in.  There's actually two pages of individual comments at this particular location from Forum members.  Click the link below.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost99502.aspx

This may vary, but the re-builders, even Ford Authorized Re-Manufacturers, that I have come across have painted their offered rehabilitated engines in various colors.

Hope this helps!   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
willowbilly3
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks. It would make sense that a truck would have no need for the heat tube since they were all manual chokes.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter