Profile Picture

Date Code on "B" Manifold?

Posted By oldcarmark 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 days ago
There's an Ad on Kijiji from someone looking for a B Manifold but He wants One that is correct  for 1957. Is there a casting # or any way to identify what Year these Manifolds were made for? I don't remember seeing anything like that on the One I have.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
We're not all "B" manifolds 57 only? I don't remember a 58 or newer Y having one. The FE style engines came out and the Y moved back. Same for the 312? I could be wrong and often am.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Merc continued to offer 312 engines for '58, '59, and 1960.  I can't remember if they still came with single 4 barrel carbs after '57.

Ford used the 'B' manifolds on some of the heavy duty truck applications with 292 engines up into the '60s, I think.  None of the pick-up trucks with 292s had the 'B' manifolds that I'm aware of.  I've got one later truck application 'B' manifold that does not have the heat tube running through it for an automatic choke.  I suspect that the truck had a manual choke or a heat tube that ran to the passenger side exhaust manifold.

I'm not up on date code reading.  'B' manifolds that I've seen with the date code had the code adjacent to where the ignition coil was mounted.

Trying to help on this, but my information is flimsy.  Ermm

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Mark.  Click the link below to see a 'B' manifold that recently was sold on eBay.  When the eBay page opens scroll down on the page to see the complete advertisement from the seller.  Put your mouse over the 1st picture to enlarge it to get a close-up of the rear on the manifold surface behind the carburetor mount.  Notice the casting date code 67 followed by an upside down E below the 'B' casting number.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Y-Block-312-292-272-Thunderbird-Holley-4-Barrel-Intake-4v-Fairlane-/302231813424?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=UqmL9e5n7yEU2Inu8iWpLk3%252FfE4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
I see that stamping. Anyone know how to decode it. Sold for a good $ too. Little Sandblasting and its worth $300.00. I picked One up for $150.00  CDN last Fall. I already have One on my Car but for $150.00 I bought it anyway. Neads a good cleanup as its been sitting for Decades.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
I think it is 1956 (6) July (7) 31st (Backwards E, 26+5), so July 31st, 1956.

That makes sense for a 1957 model year casting.

Lawrenceville, GA
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

OldcarMark.  This my understanding of date code deciphering from something Forum member Randy Holmes pointed me to from the Squarebird.org web site.  An entry in a thread dealing with casting dating from an Alan Tast, author of the book 'Thunderbird 1955-66', references a Management Service Letter M-167a.  The section I felt applies to the intake manifold you're looking at goes like this...    

Casting codes begin with the use a number to indicate the year it was produced (Example: 7 is 1957)...
- the second figure may be either a number or letter to indicate the month as follows: 1 (representing January)-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0-A-B (being December).  [...that's because there are 12 months, but only 10 numbers]
- the third symbol is either a screw head for Cleveland built units (flat for the day shift or round for the night shift) or a letter for Dearborn produced units...
- next, to denote the day of the month that the casting was produced an A (1st day) through Z (the 25th day of the month because they don't use the letter 'I' ...
- then the use of an upside-down letter A (for the 26th day of the month), and the upside-down letters B-C-D-or-E for the subsequent days (27th, 28, 29, 30th) and finally an upside-down letter F to represent the 31st day of the month, depending upon how many days there are in the month.

IF anyone reading the above explanation has any corrections to offer about this, please share them.  This is the only thing I've come across on deciphering casting dates.  Frankly, I haven't owned or worked on any '50s FoMoCo vehicles where casting date correct components were a consideration.   Rolleyes

Hope this helps!   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
ECZ-B 4V intake manifolds were cast at least through the 1964 model year.  They were possibly cast after that as the engine blocks themselves were cast through 1967.  Mercury still used the 4V manifold in 1959 but went to a 2V carb on the 312 for the 1960 models.  After 1959, the ECZ-B manifolds were a truck item only.

Here’s the casting date location on a 1963 dated manifold.  This particular manifold has been modified to take the Teapot carburetor in conjuction with a Paxton blower.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/069f8b30-590f-48b3-b693-4c6a.jpg 
On decoding the date, the first digit is the year, second digit is the month, and third/fourth digits is the day of the month.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Oldmics1
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
This is fhttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b7fd6910-3713-420c-a71e-a394.jpgrom Mercury / Service Bulletin #114- Similar to Charlies description but with some additions probably specific to Mercury.

Oldmics
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Kudos, Oldmics!  Your posting of that Mercury Service Bulletin had a whole lot more brevity to it than what I wrote out based upon what I struggled to read and interpret on the Squarebird.org webpage.

Thanks for posting that succinct photocopy!

Regards,

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York

Reading This Topic

Site Meter