Profile Picture

Throw-out Bearing Question

Posted By paul2748 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I have a 54 Ford, 312 with a toploader 4 speed.  Been on the road for quite a few years now.   Ever since I installed it the clutch doesn't release until it's about 1/16 from the floor.  Tried adjusting a number of times but with no difference.  Centerforce dual friction centrifical pressure plate and disc. I'm running what I think is the usual throw-out bearing (don't have a number and not sure about the application).  The question - is there different length  throw-out bearings that can be used with a toploader 4 speed that may solve this problem?  The clutch release lever that I am using is the one for the Yblock bellhousing

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Sandbird
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I know of two different types that were used in the mid 50's, there may be more. There is a single piece throw out bearing and a two piece unit that is made with a separate hub that is substantially longer.
Vic Correnti
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Paul, I have that setup in my bird with the Ford big block 1 3/8 input shaft and I know of no other throw out bearing but I have had similar issues. Which input shaft size do you have? One problem that comes to mind is the bolts holding the flywheel. I used the original style bolts at first and I came to find out that the bolt heads would not quite clear the plate and no matter how much I adjusted it it would shift hard. The fix was using ARP Flywheel bolts which are 12 point low profile headed bolts which are readily available. I believe John Mummert sells them. At the time I never heard anything unusual. I have the Y-block fork that I spread and welded back in 85. Last year I found that my fork was cracked at the pivot, not the 30 year old welds, which made it shift hard because it flexed and would not disengage fully, especially if I was banging gears. David Kee Toploaders (www.davidkeetoploaders.com) is a good source for info and parts, he might know of different throw out bearings. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

9310alloy
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I think you have answered your own question. " ever since I installed clutch set up ". I would think the finger height of the long style clutch to diaphram Centerforce are using are different finger heights. Your original linkage rods , cross shaft leverage & wear can not compensate & need to be modified. Plus you need to run the recommended throw out bearing for your clutch from Centerforce , sometimes the throw out bearing faces are different. Plus check what Vic has encounterd. . Diaphram pressure plates do not like to be overextended and sometimes pedal stops are needed , Centerforce instructions.?

Jim Rowe
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I had the same problem with my top loader. I did not want to shift a high RPM. I didn't seem to have enough adjustment.
If I reved my engine while in gear and the clutch depressed (to the floor) the car wanted to move.
Now the top loader was completely over hauled using David Key parts and instructions. Great guy to deal with.

Well I decided to go to a 5-speed Mustang GT transmission. SAME CLUTCH ,SAME PROBLEM. . The clutch is a Borg and Beck style with three fingers on the clutch cover.
Scratching my head... No hair now!
Jim

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/685636be-87f4-437e-933a-adcb.jpg  Jim Rowe Elkhorn, NE
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f2b2f69a-dc78-4e8b-b3aa-1890.jpg
cos
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Hello  Good info on clutch covers and throw out bearings at www.novak-adapt.com   Go to research clutch. Important to keep everything at 90 degees to each other. Different thickness of TO bearing or different pivot ball height, even another TO bearing fork. This will bring face of release fingers, TO bearing surface and fork all parallel to each other.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter