Profile Picture

vacuum line on fuel pump.

Posted By rexbd 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I know the outboard line on the fuel pump feeds the vacuum for the wipers and then on to the heater.  I am converting to electric wipers and I believe I can change the heater away from vacuum controls (checking on that).  My question, what is the inboard line on the top of the fuel pump feeding?  As I have been working on bringing the car back to life the original fuel pump vacuum ports were connected together with a small hose and didn't run anywhere? 

I do have the power brake booster (which wasn't on the car originally) and I need to find a vacuum source for it.  I am using John Mummert's intake manifold if that matters. 

After 5 years the car is almost done and then off to my daughter as a present!!!
DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The fuel pump was a "helper" for the engine vacuum wipers. The inner line on the pump goes to my wiper and heater control under the dash the outer line was connected to the rear of the carb supplying the the vacuum so the fuel pump which helped keep the wipers working during acceleration. When adding vacuum assist brakes it to connected a fitting on the rear of the carb also which came with the kit back then. However you can use any place on the intake for a vacuum booster. It is possible to drill and tap the manifold and not get any cast iron into to the manifold but you need to know how to do it.
When removing the vacuum wiper motor for electric just use a rubber cap on the tee under the dash going to the wipers and leave everything else stock to control the heater if you like.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
rexbd
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Thank you for the response!
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
For the power brake booster, you will want the vacuum source to be connected directly to the intake manifold or at the base of the carburetor.  The vacuum booster on top of the fuel pump will not supply enough vacuum for power brake operation.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
You didn't state what year your car is (why do they do that when asking a question) but I believe that the 55's vacuum source was a hole drilled into the intake manifold in front the of the carb.  There should be a plug there.

In 56, there was a fitting on the back of the carb (4bbl) that supplied vacuum to the power brakes and the distributor.  I don't know what the two bbl cars had for a vacuum source. 

For 57, the vacuum source came from a fitting at the back of the intake manifold.

Does John's manifold have the hole for the fitting at the back ?

As far as the heater is concerned, you can go with a manual setup.  The TBird suppliers (at least CASCO) has a kit to convert to a manual valve that may work with a sedan (year??).. It works with the stock temperature lever on the heater control.  Or you could make one of your own.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

rexbd
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The Tbird is a 55.  Thanks for all the advice!  I am anxious to get this done.  I originally bought it for my wife, but I lost her to cancer so the project set for a couple of years.  Once finished its going to be a present to my daughter and it will be fun to see her enjoy the project.  This website is so very helpful and I appreciate all the help!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter