Profile Picture

Oversized Ford tach drive distributor

Posted By cokefirst 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
I found a rebuilt distributor in my parts stock.  It was supposed to be a 57 Ford Thunderbird tach drive distributor.  When I took it out of the box it looks similar but is much larger.  Similar to a Y-block distributor in steroids.  I thought it was for a big ford 332 Y-block in the heavy truck, but I heard they are the same size distributor as the smaller y-blocks.  Anyone have any idea of what it fits?
Sandbird
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
It might be a distributor that is for engines that came from the factory with a governor system. They had a special carburetor that worked in conjunction with the distributor. The distributor had an additional vacuum system that supplied a vacuum, which varied with engine rpm, to a diaphragm on the carb that limited engine rpm. Usually they were found on vehicles ordered for commercial use.
2721955meteor
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
it is large truck,most likely from the larger ys designed to work with a special carb as a govoner .not sure if it will work in the 272 -312 blocks. be carful
cokefirst
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)

I found my answer,  according to the casting code, it is for an FE engine and if from a 1958 Edsel with a tachometer.  I never realized that the Edsel had a mechanical tachometer.  It must be relatively rare as I never see one on Fee Bay.
miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

I don't know if it's true, or applies to other cars/engines. But in about 1968 I got a 57 tach drive dizzy for my bird from an old and knowledgeable junk yard guy. He had an F code 57 bird. It came out of a junk car in his yard that was originally a police car with the optional tach. He saved it for me, and gave me time to come up with $20 for it.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
57RancheroJim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 10 days ago
I'm not that familiar with the Edsel's but I don't ever recall seeing a mechanical tach drive for an FE. powered passenger car. Possibly an option for Police package?
Edit: Just looked at some pictures of Edsel dashboards and they did have a tach.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e37006f9-eec0-48eb-97c1-9e9.jpeg
cokefirst
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

found a photo of a 58 Edsel dash with tachometer  http://www.aarnio.com/edsel-fi/elli58/kuvat/elli76.jpg  The distributor is for a 361 Edsel with tach drive. 
Oldmics1
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I have a 58 Edsel Roundup station wagon that has a 361 engine with the factory tachometer.
While not a super rare option for the FE equipted engines it was not a big seller.
I"m sorta surprised that it never caught on with the race FE guys that wanted to use a mechanical tachometer.

The "Known Part Number" cast on the housing should be FEY 12127 A

I have had a few of them over the years. They sell for (real) in the $350.00 range.

Oldmics
glennlueders
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
you still have the Edsel Tach drive distributor parts?  I am in desperate need of the nylon drive gear.
Glenn
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Is it the driven gear you are looking for (the one at the end of the cable)?  If so, they may be the same as the early birds, which are available from the early bird parts suppliers.  The drive gear is in the distributor

glennlueders (12/2/2017)
you still have the Edsel Tach drive distributor parts?  I am in desperate need of the nylon drive gear.
Glenn

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter