Profile Picture

256ci Mercury

Posted By RLJ 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Now that the Merc will be moved from the shop and brought home we have time to plan what we're going to do with it. Now that I know for sure it is the original 256, and it has a knock and a squeal which leads me to believe it has spun a bearing, I'm once again thinking of putting it back in the car. I thought if I needed a crank I'd step up to the 3.300" stroke of the 272/292 and make it a 272. More ci but keeping originality to the car. So my question is the rod length is the same for 239/256 as the 272/292 from what I'm reading, so is there a difference in the pin height of the piston between the 256 and the 272? In order to make it work I would have to look for 272 pistons?

Thx,
Dick
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
John Mummert's Technical section of his Ford y-block.com web site is loaded with helpful information.

Click the link below to one page of John's information that will answer your connecting rod question...
http://ford-y-block.com/dimensions.htm

I think you previously wrote that you were thinking of swapping to later cylinder heads.  That can be done, BUT it is not a mere 'bolt them on' situation.  IF you want that info. let us know.  I can save you having to find it in the Forum Archive.

ADDENDUM:  John Mummert also has a listing for 272 pistons.  You can also get them in a rebuild kit for going through your engine.  Click the link below to see John's offering.
http://www.ford-y-block.com/enginepa.htm

Hope this helps.   Smile 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Dick.  My understanding is that y-block 272 pistons are a bit hard to come by.  In digging on eBay, Johnson's Speed Shop does have a listing of N.O.S. replacement pistons.  The listing indicates that they're short the retainer clips for the piston pins, but that is an easily sourced item, I think.

Click the link below to go to the eBay listing for these pistons.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272-FORD-TRUCK-PISTONS-1955-THRU-1958-STANDARD-BORE-SET-8-NOS-/311545176885?vxp=mtr&hash=item48898a2335

Falcon Global also has a listing for 272 pistons, BUT I suspect that they are being produced off-shore.

Other Forum members may have additional suggestions for you, too.

Hope this helps.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

RLJ (3/4/2017)
I thought if I needed a crank I'd step up to the 3.300" stroke of the 272/292 and make it a 272. More ci but keeping originality to the car.
So my question is the rod length is the same for 239/256 as the 272/292 from what I'm reading, so is there a difference in the pin height of the piston between the 256 and the 272? In order to make it work I would have to look for 272 pistons?

Dick

Dick.  Going back to your question...  Per JM's chart, the compression height of the '54 FoMoCo 239 and 256 pistons is different from the compression height of the 272 pistons.  IF you are going to replace the crank in the 256 with one from a 272 / 292 engine, you'll need the later 272 pistons to go with the crank. 

JM's chart shows the connecting rods for the 239, 256, 272, and 292 engines (except the HD truck 292 from '61-'64 AND the rods from the '62-'64 292) to be the same in center-to-center length and weight.  The forging ID mark on the pre-62 rods is EBU.  The later '62-'64 292 rods are C2AE.  The '62-'64 C2AE rods are physically shaped differently from the earlier EBU rods AND weigh more.  -Best not to mix EBU rods with C2AE connecting rods because of the weight difference. 

In changing the crank and the pistons in your 256 engine, consider having the entire rotating assembly balanced.

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
pintoplumber
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
The advise is correct. You will need standard bore 272 pistons. I have 272 pistons in my 239. If you don't, the piston will stick up too far in the head. I bought mine used off of e bay. There's always a chance the seller misrepresents.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA
Dobie
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Egge shows 272 pistons @ $330/set.

RLJ
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)

Thanks Guys! Had I read the last column on JM's site (comp.ht.) I'd have had my answer. Was there just didn't research far enough.

Yes I did mention the later heads but that was before confirming the ID of this engine, when I was told it was a 312. Now it's probably not part of the plan.

Yes Egge is where I've been looking and they show kits for both 256 and 272. I will have to contact them and others as this would have to be a custom kit due to the cam journals and oil pump.

I've also come across an article about modifying the teapot carb vacuum port to the distributor vacuum advance of the '57 and up distributor. This would then require the hex drive oil pump and change out of the distributor gear.
Not looking to build a hotrod just a sweet running Y block and maybe keeping originality as much as possible with the exception of a few not too obvious modifications for the better.
Thx again!!

Dick 
Tricarb
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)

I have a rebuilt 256 available if you need one

Reading This Topic

Site Meter