Profile Picture

2017 Engine Masters Vintage Rules

Posted By Vic Correnti 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Joe-JDC (2/25/2017)
LordMrFord (2/25/2017)
Joe-JDC (2/24/2017)
At least the Oldsmobile folks can't use the aluminum head, either.  I believe the - G or 113 heads can be ported to be competitive with a bit of valve work and they do allow pushrod tubes in Vintage Class.  Interesting.  Joe-JDC

Still wont help with lower port short radius. Sad
I have been able to get the lower ports on the iron heads into the 250+ cfm range, and the upper ports into the 264+ cfm range, which is capable of making over 500 hp in a 340ish cubic inch engine.  I still believe that it is possible to get close to 550 horsepower with a larger engine and be competitive in scoring.  I would like to see a real Y Block make 600 horsepower, NA.  Maybe Ted could do it with his 401????

Any pics from runners?

I ported exhaust ports a lot with 1.6" valves but from intakes I took only 1mm from head bolt curves, some from walls and I smoothed bowls.

Hyvinkää, FI
LordMrFord
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

charliemccraney (2/25/2017)
That wouldn't work either.  From the rules "OEM cast iron cylinder heads are the only type of heads that can be used. Heads must be originally manufactured for the engine application in which it is being used."

Doh.
Lack of alu heads will keep Kaase away from Vintage class also.

Hyvinkää, FI
HenryFloored
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Hi gang. I'm very proud of you guys and the Y-block Engine Masters entries the past couple years.

I am also not surprised that the Lincoln Y and MEL did so well. It is my belief that FoMoCo put some very good basic bones out in those days and when in the skilled and capable hands of you fellas the results speak for themselves.

I have mixed emotions about the outlawing of aftermarket aluminum heads. For so long the Y has not gotten the respect it deserves yet when one looks back into the history books and considers the scope and breadth of available speed parts for them you realize something very good was happening.

So here we are in 2017 and the Engine Masters rules are changed most likely because the availability of a good aftermarket head for the Y and not for many other makes is a stumbling block.

I feel that if this is the direction the class is moving let the sbc's run with 50's block and head castings and let the chips fall where they may.

Let's see exactly how these 50's engines compare.

I would predict that a Ford Y block could match or surpass a sbc in power per cubic inch.

I think the MEL could lay a beat down on even an early Hemi if built to the same rules naturally aspirated on gasoline.

Thoughts? I'm
Small block
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

Is furnace brazing allowed?   I seen some pretty Exotic modifications  done on the351  Cleveland heads Back in the mid1970's through  furnace brazing stock Cast iron heads!
HenryFloored
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)Normally aspirated (43 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I'd rather not see furnace brazing myself.

I'd rather see Ford's superior engineering being put on display once and for all.

I know foot wide Hemi valve covers are cool or Olds and caddy's are the supposed peak of 50's hot rod hierarchy but I think Ford's, Merc's and Lincolns has more going for them and us than the story books tell.

Let's see exactly what was going on back in the day in terms of performance engineering.
yalincoln
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
looks like a Lincoln Y might be a better choice!

lincoln/merc. y-blocks &mel's                                                               bucyrus, ohio.
Joe-JDC
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Small block (3/2/2017)
Is furnace brazing allowed?   I seen some pretty Exotic modifications  done on the351  Cleveland heads Back in the mid1970's through  furnace brazing stock Cast iron heads!

No.  Only one repair in one intake and one exhaust port on each head with epoxy.  Cannot be used to direct airflow, only repair a leak. 

JDC
Small block
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

Thanks joe  I understand the rules now.   As for the  Y block  holding its own I think it did OK for it self in its time and the  only reason it was over shadowed was because of the big block engines that Ford built.  In 1958 you could order a Thunderbird with a 430, that don`t leave much place for a 312.
MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Reading the paragraph about repairing ports restrictions makes me a bit curious about how a set of heads were changed from stacked to parallel ports and made the cut?

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Chuck.  Maybe in 2015 John Kaase told them they were Re-Manufactured aftermarket J. Mummert heads?   w00t  Hehe  Hehe

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York

Reading This Topic

Site Meter