Profile Picture

High Torque Starter

Posted By jdwilker 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I just installed a high torque starter from Auto Electric in my '57 292. It starts the engine fine, but it makes alot of noise and when the engine starts up, it seems the starter doesn't disengage right away and spins up making a screeching sound. I spoke with Jack at AE and he said it sounds like it is not aligned correctly. For those of you who have installed this starter, have you had a similar problem? One thing I wondered about is the rubber starter seal. At first I couldn't get the starter in place because of it. I ended up trimming all of the rubber flashing that lays between the starter and the block, but left the mounting ring in place. Should I just chuck that altogether and mount the starter without it? Any tricks to getting this on correctly?
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Try mounting it without the stock mounting ring.

Something I remember on my autoelectric starter is that the mounting holes in the starter were bigger than they needed to be for the bolt size so I made spacers to take up the slack and ensure that it always goes back in the same way.  However, I never had a problem before the spacers.

Lawrenceville, GA
jdwilker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)

Thanks Charlie, I'll give that a try.
MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I've never put one of those starter seals back on since my 57 Ford in 1960. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
I haven't any such problem with mine, in fact no problems with mine.  I too left off the rubber seal.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

jdwilker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

So I finally got around to removing that starter seal, re-installed the starter and it works much better. From the feedback I've read and my experience, that starter seal causes more problems than it fixes.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter