Profile Picture

An adjustable PCV valve

Posted By NoShortcuts 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

Fellow Forum members:
What follows is intended to share information I just came across.  I am in no way affiliated with Street Rodder magazine, M/E Wagner Performance, or involved in the marketing or sale of the aftermarket device described.

Street Rodder magazine
April 2017 issue
Page 112 'The ABCs of PCVs'

Article by Ron Ceridono

M/E Wagner Performance has come -up with an ADJUSTABLE PCV valve.
The one page article states that the purpose of a PCV is to control the vacuum level in the crankcase and provided protection in case of a backfire.

The amount of an engine's blow-by varies with engine speed and the load on the engine.  Most PVCs have two operating ranges.  Idle and under load.

The point is made that while your original PVC valve may have been correct for an OEM application, the valve may no longer be available because of
your engine's vintage OR if your engine has been modified (camshaft or other performance modifications) the PVC flow rates may need to be re-calibrated to work as needed.  Also, the author makes the point that there are no specs to reference for PCV valve selection.

M/E Wagner identifies some issues that can result from having an improper PCV valve for your engine application:
-  Engine idle issues such as unresponsive carb mixture screws,engine can't be adjusted to idle smoothly or unstable idle speed
-  Excessive crankcase pressure perhaps indicated by oil deposits around valve cover breathers after driving or rear main seal leaks
-  Fuel smell in the oil or oil being consumed through the PCV system.

Like a conventional PCV valve, M/E Wagner's Dual Flow PCV valve has two flow rates.  What is unique is that the flow rate for idle AND the flow rate for cruise are individually adjustable. 

To calibrate the valve for your engine application, the engine's vacuum rate at idle is measured with a conventional vacuum gauge and then your vacuum
reading in conjunction with their engine displacement chart indicates a recommended flow adjustment for their PCV valve.

A similar procedure is used to determine and set the transition point for properly adjusting their PCV valve for changeover from idle to cruise mode.

M/E Wagner indicates that additional instruction are provided with their Dual Flow PCV Valve for making custom calibrations or the use of a fixed orifice mode for engines with extremely low vacuum levels at idle.

It sounds to me like this M/E Wagner Dual Flow adjustable PCV valve will take the guesswork out of selecting the correct PCV valve for proper PCV system flow rate with your engine as well as the vacuum level when the valve transitions from engine idle to cruise mode.   Smile   

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
57RancheroJim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
That sounds interesting, thanks for posting the info.

Edit:after looking it up I see they have been around for more then a few years. Looks like the are made for valve cover applications so I wouldn't use one myself on my Y.  $129
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Not just valve cover applications. They have an inline adapter, too.

I might give it a try. If it works, it take all of the guess work out.

Lawrenceville, GA
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

I've ordered one.  I don't know if I will be able to assess how well it works.  But I should definitely be able to tell if it doesn't work.  I'll keep y'all posted.  It will be a week or two before I have any news about it.

Lawrenceville, GA
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Charlie.  The notion of being able to ADJUST the operation of the PVC valve sounds ideal.  Picking the 'right' valve for a modified engine would usually seem to be a trial-and-error, sorting-out type undertaking. 

Being able to adjust (calibrate) the operation of the PVC valve based upon the engine's displacement and the modified engine's vacuum characteristics at idle and at cruising speed sounds ideal.  Changing an engine's displacement by boring or stroking, and changing the engine's camshaft valve overlap, duration, and/or  L.C.A. can certainly change the vacuum readings it exhibits at idle and in use on the street or highway.

THANKS for offering to share what you find.  Appreciated!   Smile

Regards,

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I received it today.  It is beautifully machined and comes with the tools required, minus the vacuum gauge, as  well as a few spare parts, vacuum passage plug and assembly screws - the things that you will never find if you drop them.  All made in the USA.  I should have it installed before the weekend.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5d36f580-6c71-42f1-9a1a-2290.jpg

Lawrenceville, GA
dennis22
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Charlie, any updates? I have ordered one myself. I will be installing mine in about 2 weeks when I fix my leaking timing cover!

Thanks, Dennis.

56 F100 - 272 Y Block
NSW, Australia.

charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

It is installed and I've been driving with it for the past few days.  I still need to check the idle adjustment, which is why I had not posted anything yet.  One of the last steps of the instructions is something like test drive and make any adjustments to the idle setting, if necessary.  There is a chart at the very end of the last page, that I overlooked, indicating what to look for.
No glaring issues at this time.

As you can see in the picture I posted, the valve does not come with a grommet.  You will need a 3/4" ID grommet, which is pretty standard for pcv valves.  If you had planned to put it directly in place of an existing breather, the grommet you currently have is probably too big.  Get a baffled grommet, if you will be using it in a valve cover or valley pan that does not have or is missing the baffle.  On any baffled grommet, make sure the opening is not blocked.  I've had a couple where there was a thin film of rubber, left from the molding process, that needed to be removed with a razor..

I contacted them to ask about the idle tuning and suggest that they make available grommets or even come out with a 1" breather form-factor version that will directly replace a breather.  they replied quickly and seem interested in having feedback.
The 1" version would also be much better from a grommet availability standpoint, since that is a very common size for push in breathers - lots of baffled and non baffled grommets available.  Baffled grommets are slim pickings in the 3/4" size.  I used a Moroso 68772.

Lawrenceville, GA
pegleg
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Charlie, Keep us posted. Looks promising.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Idle adjustment seems fine.  According to the instructions, excess oil consumption, and unresponsive idle mixture screws are things to look for for excess PCV flow.  Those look good.  Signs of inadequate PCV flow have to do with oil getting out of the crankcase in one way or another.  That seems ok.  I also had to close the throttle butterflys slightly after installing the valve, which means more air was coming through the valve, providing more evidence that flow is adequate.
It does seem to be working better than the generic one I have used in the past.

So first impressions are good.  We'll see how it does over the long term.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter