Profile Picture

how long is your VIN?

Posted By texasmark1 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
my 57 Fairlane has a 10 digit VIN...
searching for it, I keep getting "VIN must have 17 digits.
is my title missing something?

thanks,Mark

"God Bless Texas"location: Houston,TX
texasmark1
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
that title should be "VIN"...

"God Bless Texas"location: Houston,TX
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Mark.  I think that 10 characters is the correct number.  Click the link below for an example on data plate decoding.

http://www.ctci.org/decoder.php

Hope this helps.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
crownvic55
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)

Back then they weren't VIN numbers.  Not sure when they came into use.  

Ben HessTulsa,OK
62bigwindow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Months Ago
I'm pretty sure the 17 digit VIN is a more modern thing. My 56 has 10 also if I'm remembering correctly.

Durham Missouri
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
VIN's have been on Fords back to the Model T's

crownvic55 (1/21/2017)
Back then they weren't VIN numbers.  Not sure when they came into use.  

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Yesterday's terminology was 'vehicle serial number' found on the vehicle data plate.  I don't know about other makes, but on our vintage y-block Fords, that vehicle serial number is stamped on the vehicle frame in three specific locations. 

More recent terminology for the vehicle serial number is VIN which is simply the acronym for 'vehicle identification number'.

Here's the link to the data plate decoder for our vintage Fords that decodes your vehicle serial number.   Smile
http://www.ctci.org/decoder.php

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
For the Fifties’ Fords, it’s normal for the VIN (serial number) on the data plate to only be ten digits long.  Here’s an excerpt from a page out of a VIN decoding book for the 1957 Ford showing the ten digits.  You’ll have to keep in mind that Ford put the identification number on the body and the frame but not on the engine.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1eb50f57-4546-4eaf-9c2d-0e37.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

62bigwindow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Months Ago
One thing that always makes me chuckle is when you hear a vintage Ford as being numbers matching engine and transmission.

Durham Missouri
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

62bigwindow.  At first blush your statement is totally correct.  -There is no serial number on the y-block Ford engines or transmissions that corresponds to the vehicle serial number that it came out of.

For the purist however, there are engine component casting numbers AND some components have casting dates that are 'correct' for the vehicle the engine or transmission came from.  This also comes into play with transmissions.

I am not a numbers guy, but for someone putting together something like an E code or F code car, this information can affect the value of what they are restoring.

You are totally correct that the purists working on the restoration of something like a Corvette, this serial number stuff has got to be hard.   Hehe

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York

Reading This Topic

Site Meter