Profile Picture

Change jets in a Holley 4000 carb

Posted By funkydude 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
My 56' Ford Victory 292 has a teapot carb which was rebuilt in Georgia and I live in New Mexico, which is approximately 5500 ft above sea level.  The car runs really well, but it seems that the carb is hesitating when first starting to drive down the street.  Once it gets to around 65 - 70 it runs perfect.  Should I have the jets changed?  Any help would be appreciated.
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
What are you running for initial advance i the distributor?  If you are running the factory 6 degrees, try 10 degrees.  Not saying this will cure it, but it has been known to help in a case like yours.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

funkydude
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)

Not sure about the advance, but I'll give it a try this weekend.  Thanks
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
The general rule is to reduce the jet sizing by one number for each 2000 feet increase in altitude.  As your engine is hesitating, that would be an indication of already being on the lean side assuming the ignition timing is not too far retarded.  Paul’s recommendation of bumping the timing up is a good one and I’ve found as much as 12° initial works well on some for the Teapot equipped cars.

The hesitation can also be related to the ethanol in the fuel.  Ethanol when added to the fuel reduces the density which in turn leans the mixture if not upping the jet size in which to compensate.  If you’re not running premium fuel now, then try that as premium grade has a reduced amount of ethanol in it.  In my part of the country, 91-93 octane has between 3 and 5 percent ethanol versus the 10 percent found in the 87-89 octane grades.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

funkydude
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thank you Ted.  I will try the timing advance before I take the carb in for the changing out of jets.  That should save me a bunch of money.  Have a great weekend.
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 16 hours ago
Assuming adequate jet size, fuel octane, properly curved distributor, limited dynamic C/R, etc., then maximum initial timing is likely only determined by how much starting difficulty you are willing to put up with, vs. how fond you are of acceleration, and thus the timing light & spec. #s become largely irrelevant, except to record the determined/target optimum (?).

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
martyk98
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
double check your accelerator cup. Pony sells a synthetic to replace the original leather one.
scicala
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Holley 4000 teapot carbs didn't have a leather accel pump piston in '55 and '56. They came with a rubber cup piston. As far as I know there isn't a leather replacement for those years either. I actually prefer leather. I have seen the cups that are claimed ethanol compatible swell to the point where they stick in the bore and pull off.

Sal

Reading This Topic

Site Meter