Profile Picture

Engine ID help

Posted By willowbilly3 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I'm buying a Y block that's in a 54 car. Is there a link or info to help me determine if it's still a 239 or something newer? thanks
Oldmics1
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)

John Mummert"s site has the best information.

http://ford-y-block.com/Block%20identification.htm

NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Willowbilly.  Click the link below that will take you to an engine block identification chart from John Mummert.  Be sure to note John's related information at the top and bottom of his chart.

http://ford-y-block.com/Block%20identification.htm

Hope this helps.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Checking the casting numbers is the best way of verifying which CID family this engine belongs to in lieu of pulling a head off and doing a bore and stroke check.

Some of the obvious external clues as to originality of the 239 would be 5/16-18 bolts being used to fasten the fuel pump to the timing cover, the smaller sized water pump, freeze plugs in the ends of the cylinder heads, 14mm spark plugs, the lack of rubber at the harmonic damper, the three bolt two barrel carb (Holley), the block and heads being painted an ivory color, and straight points in the distributor.  While many of these items can be put on a 272/292 to make it look like a 239, much of the time this doesn’t happen.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Ted's reply has numerous good 'tells' for you if it's difficult to view the casting ID number on the engine block.

As examples of how attaching components may have been swapped in the course of time, my first car, a '54 Ford with a 239 cubic inch engine, soon acquired an original four barrel carburetor and intake manifold from a '54 Merc (256 cubic inch) and original dual exhaust manifolds from a '55 Ford (272 cubic inch).  These were easy items to acquire from the 'junk yard' and install.  They were bolt for bolt replacement parts!

In 63 years of a '54 Ford's existence, your suspicion that engines may have been changed-out is a real possibility.   Smile 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
willowbilly3
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

Thanks for the help guys. I'll go look at it some more today. The old guy is pulling it from his glass top to put in a 351. Engine sounds good and idles with 60 psi (cold) It has had the intake changed out to a later square bore. Since it's a good deal and I'll be getting the overdrive tranny too, I'll probably get it. I was hoping he might be wrong and a 292 or 312 got changed in. Then I could use the engine in my 59 F250 4x4 but I think replacing a 200 hp engine with 130 hp might not be a great idea.
Oh, and I did notice the freeze plug in the end of the head.
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Look for a combination of the 'tells' that Ted mentioned to determine for sure what the owner presently has.  As an example, '55 Ford and Mercury heads have the soft plugs (freeze plugs) in the cylinder heads, too.

Click the link below for another chart from John Mummert to help you in identifying the vintage of the cylinder heads.  While not as easy to swap from one engine to another, cylinder heads often get changed when cracks occur, valve guides need repair, or there was a burned valve.  ...And they don't always get replaced as a set!  Hehe

http://ford-y-block.com/cylinderheadchart.htm

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Early 56 "C" heads on 312's  had the freeze plug at the end of the head.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Paul2748.  I'm glad you came in on this.  I wasn't aware that any early '56 heads also had the soft plugs.  Charlie Brown is still learnin'!   Smile

Regards,

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
willowbilly3
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Update on this, I still don't have it. I checked with the rod shop he is using and the car is inside but they haven't pulled the engine yet. I did talk to the owner and he seems rather "unique". The AFB 4 bbl. was running pretty rich when I inspected the car at the local front end shop. The owner buys a new $400 Edelbrock carb to drive the car 15 miles to the shop that is doing the engine swap. So now I'm getting a new carb too.
 Anyway, when I have the engine, I'll check it close and determine what it is. I think I have a guy who wants it and I'll keep the manifolds and carb.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter