Profile Picture

Driving lights

Posted By Jim Yergin 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
That's the kit .  From what I found out, there was two different mounting brackets - the one shown and a simpler, "L" shaped bracket.  Maybe the difference between the two years??  The one shown above is in the Thunderbird Restoration  Details and Specifications Manual (page 467) but the "L" shaped bracket is shown in various pictures and is the one I have which I bought from a seller that deals in OEM parts.  Or maybe a Mercury bracket???

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

blockhead2
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Here are pictures of an NOS driving light kit.  I have them on my 55 Tbird.  They were a factory option and are concours correct.  Note, the knob is different from what you would expect.  Not sure what knob is original for a Tbird.  They were also used on the 56 Tbird.

https://classiccarradiodoctor.com/1954%20merc%20roadlamps.htm

Good luck,

Bill
wabateATverizon.net
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Thanks for the pictures, I always wondered what those looked like. Somewhere in the distant past I was told, or read, that those were used in amber, on the export cars. I've never been to Europe, but apparently they drove on amber parking/fog lights there were lights in the cities. I wouldn't know, but it's a good story.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
paul2748
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

No  

Jim Yergin (12/30/2016)
paul2748,
Thanks for checking. How about when your driving light switch is in the off position and your headlights are on, do the driving lights come on?
Jim

Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Jim Yergin
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)

paul2748,
Thanks for checking. How about when your driving light switch is in the off position and your headlights are on, do the driving lights come on?
Jim
paul2748
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1d8ced09-b959-45ec-a846-46db.jpg
Pictures, I hope - red led is my add on - shows when lights are on.

ehttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/64ff89d1-c0ee-457b-a290-55af.jpg 
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e3b1faa4-86b3-40e5-a12d-ba93.jpg 
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/65522323-14fe-443e-98eb-a1a7.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6d4d4b9d-45e1-4062-8687-7b48.jpg

Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

paul2748
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

JIM  - took a ;look at my installation and found out it is the three pole switch and I have it wired like the diagram in the Electrical Installation manual.  I didn't remember about the line going to the rear lights and never checked it.  I checked it tonight and sure enough the rear lights go on when the road light switch is pulled.  I did this installation about 8 or 9 years ago and I guess I forgot most of it.

Miker - I will post some pics of the kit and my switch as installed.  Will do it later tonight.  The one showing the switch is only fair.  I got the pics from the Yahoo classicbirds sight

Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Thanks, Jim

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Jim Yergin
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)Turbocharged (62 reputation)

Mike,
I am away from home right now. When I get back after the first of the year, I will see what I can do.
Jim Yergin
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Jim and Paul, I've read about these, and seen diagrams, but I've never seen any pictures of the lights or the switches and brackets. Just for the rest of us and our sum of knowledge, could you post some pictures?

Thanks,

Mike

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter