Profile Picture

Found vacuum leak on Mummert intake. now what?

Posted By ianmatt 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have been hearing some hissing the last few weeks that I thought was my carb. I have always had a bit of fluctuation in RPM and always thought it was nature of the isky cam. This evening I sprayed some carb cleaner around in take while engine was warm and idle and sure enough. Around both of the drivers side Mummert runners its pulling in plenty of air. Its been about 6 months since the complete shop build so I dont know if I have a warranty for this. The bolts seem to be torqued down pretty good. Its not pulling in on the passenger side. What do you guys think? Are those gaskets redily available through Napa maybe? SOmething I could get on a Sat maybe and change out fairly quick? Should I use RV red on them too?
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 36 minutes ago
Those gaskets will probably have to be ordered.  It's highly unlikely that a typical parts store will have them on the shelf.  You should not need any rtv.
Make sure the bolts and nuts are tight.  Check the head and intake surfaces for flatness, gouges, scrapes.  It can also be a defective gasket.

Lawrenceville, GA
ianmatt
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)

If I want to change the gaskets the distributoor doesnt need to come out correct? just carb and coil? Anything else I would need to know prior to changing gaskets out?
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
You're going to have to drain enough water to get below the level of the head, but not all of it. The upper radiator hose and bypass hose should slide off ok if it's a recent install. I'd place the manifold back on without the gaskets and look for misalignment. I haven't had a problem with minor amounts of decking on the head or block, my blue thunder pulls down ok and doesn't leak.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
My local O’Reilly store keeps the Y-Block intake gaskets in stock.  Most part stores can get the gaskets by the next day in the event they do not have them in stock.  As has been mentioned, lower the water level so it’s below the intake.  Dry fit the intake on the heads without the gaskets in place and insure that all gasket surfaces are square to each other.  I use white grease on the intake gaskets as a sealer but if your Mummert intake has not been modified with slots for the intake studs, then you may have to glue the gaskets so they remain in place while the intake is being installed.  The distributor will be fine without loosening it up so you’ll be good there.

Here are a couple of pics of Y intakes being slotted for the intake studs.  Keeping the studs allows the intake gaskets to be held in place without fear of them slipping.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/61fc4709-a39a-428b-a790-d325.jpg 
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/00c49aec-0091-470f-8594-cf06.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

speedpro56
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

My recent leak was the bottom right rear which had a break. Don't know how it got there but it did and had a terrible low end miss. I use the Felpro brand and as Ted said they are easy to get, some have them in stock and over night in some cases at the local parts houses.

-Gary Burnette-

Reading This Topic

Site Meter