Profile Picture

For those considering a new gas tank

Posted By Silver Heels 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago

Hello,
Just wanted to pass a little tidbit along to any of you looking to replace your original gas tank.  This past summer, I had my car in the shop to have some work done.  The mechanic installed another fuel filter and stated that the original gas tank should go as they get rusty.  I did a little research and drew the conclusion that everyone who drives 60 year old cars like us is living on borrowed time if they still have the original tank.  I placed an order- $250 later I had a nice shiny new tank, mounting kit and sending unit.

I then went to work draining seven gallons of gas into a clean, clear plastic tote.  I expected to see a some water at the bottom, in addition to a layer of rust and sediment.  To my surprise- there wasn't so much as a speck of rust!

Next, I removed the sending unit from the old tank and looked inside with a flashlight.  Not a trace of rust or dirt- it looks brand new!  I can trace this car's history back to 1959, so it amazes me that after 60 years, 90k mikes and approx. 6000 gallons there was no trace of contamination in the original tank

I am going to install the new tank to give the undercarriage some bling- and because I destroyed the box it was shipped in, but to anyone thinking of installing a new tank- make sure you check inside your old one first- just because it is original does not mean it needs replacement.

junkyardjeff
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
I replaced the tank in my 55 since it was much easier then cleaning up and painting the original.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
speedpro56
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Totally good enough for me. Insurance and looks.

-Gary Burnette-

Shaggy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Oh but you'll never experience the fun of rattling around a box of bb's by hand in a gas tank like i did when i was a child. It gets the rust out, but in hindsite i should have tried to strap it to a paint mixer instead.
junkyardjeff
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

My tank was nice on the inside but looked very crusty on the outside and thought I might make some holes in it when cleaning up so I just bought a new tank.

56_Fairlane
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago

Redneck Gas Tank Cleaner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0XTi-iFLf8

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles
junkyardjeff
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Now I need to buy a tractor so I can do that,I have been wanting to get a tractor for a few years and now I know what I can do with one.

mrmike
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I know this post is a year old, but I would like to add my little tidbit to it.   When I fist started restoring my 54 Merc, I took the original gas tank off & cleaned it with kerosene & then acetone, while shaking a chain in it.  I always used a clear fuel filter & it always got black.  Well this past Sept at a big Car show ,I broke down on the street. Thought it was vapor lock as it was in the 80's out.  It would fire up & just shut down & you could see the fuel level going down in the filter.   Well I had to call a flatbed to bring her Home.   
    Next day started it up & drove it down the road a little ways & it Quit !  Forget the vapor lock theory.  Brought her back to my garage & unhooked the coupling union half way back on my frame- NO gas came out!   Then I unhooked the gas line a the tank & same thing.  
    Researched Tanks for it & found they don't make a replacement tank for 52 to 54 Mercs.  So I ordered a 55 Ford tank & made my own straps, etc to make it work. 
Long story short, after removing the old tank & taking off the sender, it doe not appear to look rusty inside with a flashlight.  But after 60 yrs It must have must have built up crap by the pickup tube.    I feel a lot better Now with the new tank !!
speedpro56
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Insurance works every time.

-Gary Burnette-

paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I got a 54 Ford and the tank looks like it could be the original.  Perfect inside.  Car only had 55K on it when I bought it.

It's the old story,  look before you leap

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter