Profile Picture

Truck engine

Posted By Sanddoc 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hello
  Well I've posted a few times, and have gotten some good help, still have some unanswered
posts so if you have the answer please reply to them.
  Now  My engine is a 62 292 truck motor with a 3 speed attached.  I don't need the 3 speed, but
I understand that the bellhouseing is used for the C4\AOD  conversion. So I don't know right now
what to do about that.
   This is like a 8.0 CR.
 there is a guy close to me who is selling a set of 59 heads with 1.92 intakes. His description sounds like
a car engine.  Would these really help my 292?  He says they need rebuilding... they look pretty clean
in the photo's
 The price is not bad, but a little more then what I can afford right now, so some dealing needs to be done.
he does not give the casting numbers.
  In the Y block is it the heads that make the different CR? For 59 the cylinder head page gives
2 listings for CR 8.8  72cc and 8.0 82cc...
 I'll be going with a 4bbl intake, and probably a Holley carb..
thanks...

PS:  This might be the cast number...  ECR-A\5750
I find no ECR-A  and the 5750 shows as a truck head... someone is mixed up...
speaking of mixed, must be cocktail time someplace!!!

miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I'm going to assume you're looking at this head chart.

http://www.ford-y-block.com/cylinderheadchart.htm

If not, take a look. After that, the bore/stroke plays into displacement if it's not stock for the engine they came on.

Since its cocktail time here, I'm going to shut up before they put a breathalyzer on my keyboard.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 10 hours ago
The manual 3 speed bellhousing is not used for any automatic conversion.

The heads change the compression ratio.  In order to know if the ones you are considering will increase compression over the ones you have, you must know the casting numbers of the heads currently installed on your engine and the casting numbers of the heads you will purchase.  Use the page linked by miker as a guide.

Lawrenceville, GA
NoShortcuts
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Sanddoc.  Trying to help here...

Per John Mummert's web page, ECR whatevers (various suffixes were used depending upon the year) were a '56 and up heavy duty truck or industrial application cylinder head.  Cliff just came in with information on that head within the last week in another thread.  My understanding is that the intake valve is the ECZ-G, 5752-113, 5750-471 series size of 1.92 inch.  The kicker is that the exhaust valve stems have sodium in them and the stem diameter is ~7/16 of an inch compared to the usual y-block stem diameter of 11/32 inch.  From what Cliff indicated, the sodium filled exhaust valves can be surplus-ed and passenger car replacement valve guides installed so that the standard diameter y-block exhaust valves can be used.

JM's web page does not indicate the volume of the ECR cylinder head's combustion chambers.  Cliff indicated that it was like or equivalent to the 5750-471 heads from JM's listing.  Regarding the 5750-471 combustion chamber volume, JM's chart indicates that it is 82 ccs.

You asked about an apparent discrepancy in the compression ratio in JM's chart. 
-  JM's listing indicates that the advertised compression ratio on the '59 light duty, medium duty, and heavy duty trucks was 8.0:1.  All of these vehicle applications had 292 cubic inch displacement engines.
- JM's listing goes on to indicate that the advertised compression ratio on the '59 Mercs was 8.7:1.  All of the '59 y-block equipped Mercs had 312 cubic inch engines.  The same cylinder head on the larger displacement engine yields a higher compression ratio.

I've been told that some 5750-471 heads used on HD truck applications came equipped with the sodium filled exhaust valve stems.  IMO if you're looking at ECR or 5750-471 heads be on the lookout as to whether they have the 7/16 diameter exhaust valve stems.  While the large exhaust valve stem heads are use-able, you will experience additional expense in having the valve guides modified so that you can use usual y-block exhaust valves.

From what Cliff reported about the ECRs he has and what I know of 5750-471 heads they are both posted, have the big intake valves, and good porting.  The glitch for some applications is that they yield a low static compression ratio when used on a 292 engine with flat top pistons and normally aspiring carburetion.  Yes, they could be milled significantly to reduce the combustion chamber volume and therefore increase the static compression ratio for your engine application.  Another option would be to use an aftermarket domed piston to increase the static compression ratio.  John Mummert has Probe aftermarket domed pistons available off the shelf for y-block bores with domes up to 10ccs.

IF you were building a supercharged or turbocharged engine, the ECR or 5750-471 heads would be desire-able to use because you need a lower static compression ratio for those applications.

Hope this helps.   Smile 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Sanddoc
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Wow thanks.  Lots of info.
    I'm going to pass on that set of heads. I'll look for one of the preferred  G, 113, etc: 
I"m in no rush... Usually when I get into something I go in all the way, right now I have my wagon to finish
 I'll just keep reading and learning for now.. I just ordered the Y Block build book from Morris...
should have bought the book the day I bought the engine...
 Thanks again all...
BTW for those in SoCal  or  visiting  in the next week, It's the Belmont Shores Car show (Long Beach, Cal) on the 11, next Sunday...
It's really one of the best car shows you can go to, blocks of cars, bars, restaurants,
LordMrFord
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
59 heads can be milled down to get better cr but intake side must be milled also.

Hyvinkää, FI
OlWeldinrig
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Thanks for this Charlie!! I think you solved my problem in looking for 471 casting heads,I just happen to have a 59 school bus I have been putting off dragging home.I amm 99% sure it has ecr heads on the engine.In fact I can remember looking at the numbers and totally dismissing them as good for nothing when seeking a set of 471s...Thanks!
    Dave

NoShortcuts (9/4/2016)
Sanddoc.  Trying to help here...

Per John Mummert's web page, ECR whatevers (various suffixes were used depending upon the year) were a '56 and up heavy duty truck or industrial application cylinder head.  Cliff just came in with information on that head within the last week in another thread.  My understanding is that the intake valve is the ECZ-G, 5752-113, 5750-471 series size of 1.92 inch.  The kicker is that the exhaust valve stems have sodium in them and the stem diameter is ~7/16 of an inch compared to the usual y-block stem diameter of 11/32 inch.  From what Cliff indicated, the sodium filled exhaust valves can be surplus-ed and passenger car replacement valve guides installed so that the standard diameter y-block exhaust valves can be used.

JM's web page does not indicate the volume of the ECR cylinder head's combustion chambers.  Cliff indicated that it was like or equivalent to the 5750-471 heads from JM's listing.  Regarding the 5750-471 combustion chamber volume, JM's chart indicates that it is 82 ccs.

You asked about an apparent discrepancy in the compression ratio in JM's chart. 
-  JM's listing indicates that the advertised compression ratio on the '59 light duty, medium duty, and heavy duty trucks was 8.0:1.  All of these vehicle applications had 292 cubic inch displacement engines.
- JM's listing goes on to indicate that the advertised compression ratio on the '59 Mercs was 8.7:1.  All of the '59 y-block equipped Mercs had 312 cubic inch engines.  The same cylinder head on the larger displacement engine yields a higher compression ratio.

I've been told that some 5750-471 heads used on HD truck applications came equipped with the sodium filled exhaust valve stems.  IMO if you're looking at ECR or 5750-471 heads be on the lookout as to whether they have the 7/16 diameter exhaust valve stems.  While the large exhaust valve stem heads are use-able, you will experience additional expense in having the valve guides modified so that you can use usual y-block exhaust valves.

From what Cliff reported about the ECRs he has and what I know of 5750-471 heads they are both posted, have the big intake valves, and good porting.  The glitch for some applications is that they yield a low static compression ratio when used on a 292 engine with flat top pistons and normally aspiring carburetion.  Yes, they could be milled significantly to reduce the combustion chamber volume and therefore increase the static compression ratio for your engine application.  Another option would be to use an aftermarket domed piston to increase the static compression ratio.  John Mummert has Probe aftermarket domed pistons available off the shelf for y-block bores with domes up to 10ccs.

IF you were building a supercharged or turbocharged engine, the ECR or 5750-471 heads would be desire-able to use because you need a lower static compression ratio for those applications.

Hope this helps.   Smile 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter