Profile Picture

56 312 and three speed

Posted By NewyBilt 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
56Roger (8/30/2016)
Not trying to cause trouble, but which method did you use to determine it is a 312? Those are the same valve covers that came on my automatic '56 wagon, 292, C heads, 4v with dual exhaust. Believe the 312 would have had "Thunderbird Special" decals.

But anything could have been done in the meantime.
In 1956 the 312 motors had no decal on the valve covers,they were just painted black,57 did have a decal though  Carl

NewyBilt
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
You can tell some slapped the decal on years ago. It's about an inch crooked.
carl
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

also the thunderbird emblem on the fender was on 292s and 312s,the 272s had a v8 emblem  Carl
NewyBilt
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Carl, I feel like your in 312 denial. It's a 312 according to the caps. I was told that the 292s are more desirable at the end of the day since they can be bored and have more material around the crank. I guess the 312's like to crack around the rear main over time. I have a couple guys interested coming this weekend to slap me upside the head if I'm wrong. I'll send you a video of them doing it to satisfy you lol.
junkyardjeff
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 10 days ago
I am interested in the motor and trans.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
NewyBilt,

There's nothing wrong with 312 blocks. IIRC there were some bad torque values published and that is "generally" blamed for the cracked webs. All the 292 and 312's were the same castings, and I think Ford only listed .040 pistons for the 312 because of that. My 312 was sonic checked, and I only went .040 over, and shifted one bore slightly for more wall thickness. But it's a 340 CID blown stroker motor. As an aside, my 312 ran fine but needed a rebuild. The crank didn't pass mag check, it was cracked. Weird one.

Check the transmission. The T-85 o/d is worth a lot more than a T-86 o/d. Enough more to get the o/d working if it's just wiring. You can temporary it with just power and a switch. Got to do it right. And don't back up in o/d, it'll lunch the o/d. If its quiet and doesn't pop out of gear, don't give it away. Quiet is a relative term compared to modern units.

I'm farther away than Ron, so I'm not a buyer. But do your homework, and slap those guys back.

Of course, I'd rather see you keep it and rebuild it, but it's your car.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Shaggy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Why am i the first one to say... That belongs back in that car!!!
carl
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

NewyBilt (8/31/2016)
Carl, I feel like your in 312 denial. It's a 312 according to the caps. I was told that the 292s are more desirable at the end of the day since they can be bored and have more material around the crank. I guess the 312's like to crack around the rear main over time. I have a couple guys interested coming this weekend to slap me upside the head if I'm wrong. I'll send you a video of them doing it to satisfy you lol.
No I am not in 312 denial as I see you have proved its a 312,just wanted to point out some of the things about the 56 motors  Carl

NoShortcuts
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
NewyBilt.  You aren't really dealing with non-believers here.  Realize that a relatively small percentage of 312s found themselves in '56 Fords.  Some Forum members have previously shared the exact statistics, but I can't.  -Floating in my head is that something like 17% of '56 Fords produced came equipped with 312s.  Too, my recollection of what was shared is that the 312s in Fords were late production year cars, like April or after, IF I recall correctly.  The new '56 FoMoCo 312 engine offering were found in all '56 Mercs and MANY '56 'Birds; that is those 'Birds with automatic transmissions or 3 speed overdrive, not three speed only 'Birds in '56.

Hope this helps.   Smile  

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
carl
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

If the wagon came with a 312 the vin plate should have a P  code not a M  code .M code was a 292   Carl

Reading This Topic

Site Meter