Profile Picture

Help with Y-block valley pan ID

Posted By Shaggy 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Anyone know which stamping is right for a '59 292 car? My filler neck got mangled at some point so i need to find anouther.  I know any will fit, but my daily is pretty unmolested and other than a 4bbl and mabey a McCullough if i can find one i want it to stay that way. Being it is my daily i cant pull it until i'm ready to change it. I see there are a few different stampings as shown in one of the recent classifieds on here.  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic124780.aspx
Dobie
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
To the best of my knowledge neither of the pans shown in the pics are correct for a '59 sedan. I retrieved a pan from a '59 sedan in a bone yard recently; it had the road draft tube located on the pan behind the carb and running behind the passenger side head. There was no road draft provision on the block itself. I picked it up because it's perfect for adapting a PCV system. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.
NoShortcuts
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Shaggy.  Dobie is correct, the '59 passenger car valley pan should have the breather tube connection on the back.  Click the link below to see a valley pan with the breather tube opening.  NOTE:  the cover pictured is '55, '56, '57 (all T-'Birds except '57 'E' code) vintage.  The 'tell' for the year is the oil fill tube connection to the valley pan.  -No dome where the fill tube enters.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/55-56-1957-ORIGINAL-FORD-THUNDERBIRD-Y-BLOCK-VALLEY-PAN-/262556209112?hash=item3d2191cfd8:g:unMAAOSw6btXSckc&vxp=mtr

The valley pan pictured below is what FoMoCo went to sometime after 1957 for all y-blocks.  -Perhaps even in '58, I'm not sure.  Quite sure that a '59 era y-block valley pan looks like this with the dome AND the breather tube connection.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-1959-Ford-Valley-Pan-Y-Block-Truck-Car-OEM-Vintage-Original-/182182253863?hash=item2a6ae89527:g:l5QAAOSwKtVWt3iF&vxp=mtr

Both pictures that I've referenced have (or should have) straight oil fill tubes.  Somewhere along the line Ford began using fill tubes with a bend in them for clearance purposes on truck applications.  I'm not knowledgeable about when that began.

Addendum:  Here's a pristine N.O.S. y-block valley pan at an insane price.  Notice the straight oil filler tube, the dome where the tube connects to the pan, and the connection in the rear for the breather tube.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351328477025?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Hope this helps.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Shaggy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)

Thanks guys, now i know what to look for
Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Two things that would help in identifying which valley cover you currently have is the length of the oil fill tube and whether that tube is factory ‘welded’ to the cover or is ‘crimped’.  There were different length oil fill tubes between the years for cars, Thunderbirds, and trucks.

The crimped tubes have a protrusion or hump built into the corner of the valley cover and I’m told that was a reinforcement to keep the cover from bending upwards when removing the oil fill cap.  There’s even a crimped tube design with a bend in the oil fill tube to accommodate the air conditioning compressor when so equipped.  The crimped tube design is known for leaking around the lower end of the tubes as installed in the valley covers so silver soldering those or crimping them tighter fixes that.  Here are pictures of both styles.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8cae18f-4a7c-460a-884d-2aa8.jpg 
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9b5105b2-50ec-4d16-837c-5ff6.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

carl
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Can you post a picture of what is on the car now.  Carl
Shaggy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'll take a look at it this weekend and see if pics are needed, no guarantees though, i'm going to look at/buy a 291 hemi hopefully this morning(sorry hemi's outnumber nailheads at my place 2 to 1), then i should rent a vibratory compactor to finish my my shop floor before concrete.

This does help a lot

It appears to be a crimped one from memory, but not 100% sure, whatever it is, apparently it came loose and someone mauled the end to get it back in. I cant even get the cap off without the entire tube coming with it.

Am i going to have any issues fitting the 4150 manifold over a 2bbl valley pan? This kind of interchange stuff is why i dont normally touch fords after '53!
Dobie
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

No issues with fit with the 4150. The only differences in the various pans is the filler neck attachment, filler neck shape and length, and presence or lack of the road draft tube provision.
jumpstart
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hello;  I have a valley cover that is different, It is on a 1959 block B9AE- 6015-F
The filler neck has a curve in it and is shorter than the others that I have. It is 6 inches long. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter