Profile Picture

removing shaft from power steering

Posted By johnnydidd 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I want to rebuild my power steering cylinder how does it come apart to remove piston rod?
2721955meteor
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
you have to cut it apart on a metal lath.most have a seal that can be replaced without doing that. replaced the seal on my 57easley.
MoonShadow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 18 minutes ago
The common problem, if they are leaking around the polished shaft is that they get worn and will no longer seal. I had mine rebuilt years ago but no longer have the information of where it was done. There are hydraulic shops that can do the work. I'm sure someone here will know of a re-builder.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
oldcarmark
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Several of the Vintage Parts Suppliers like Macs and maybe Concours sell them as an Exchange rebuilt Item. Macs does them on a rebuild and return basis. $299.00 3-4 Weeks turnaround. Tee-Bird.com lists them also. Not sure if the have them available. You might also check Lares Corp. who rebuild most Steering Components.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Kahuna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Rockauto.com sells the Lares units both new and rebuilt.
About  $200.00
I called Lares direct and they sent me to Rockauto.
Same with the control valve assy
Jim
oldcarmark
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
When You go to the Rock Auto Catalog it says " Lares rebuild and return" for both the Cylinder and Control Valve. So why does Lares tell You to go to Rockauto when the Item goes to Lares from Rock Auto?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
PWH42
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I've done a lot of business with Mac's over the years and have always been happy with their products and service,except for one purchase.That was a new(not rebuilt)power steering cylinder.The first one they sent leaked worse than my original,so they replaced it with another that leaked  even worse.I sent it back and they promptly refunded my money with no hassle.I then put  new seals in my old one and just decided I could live with a fairly minor leak.Maybe their rebuilds are OK,but I'd be a leary of the new ones they sell.
This is not meant to be a condemnation of Mac's,since as I stated.except for this one instance,I've always been satisfied with them.This is a problem with the vendor from whom they get the cylinder.

Paul,

Boonville,MO

johnnydidd
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)

I got it fixed, installed new seal works great, found old seal was damaged when installed by mechanic. thanks for all your help. on to next problem

Reading This Topic

Site Meter