Profile Picture

First "muscle car" ?!!

Posted By DANIEL TINDER 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
FYI:  While researching info on the Nash-Healy sportscar, I came across this Wikipedia quote:
"The fuel-injected 327 Rambler Rebel is credited for being the the first factory-produced muscle car,...as quicker than all other american sedans in 1957".
So much for internet accuracy.  I would like to see the Rebel try to catch a '57 Ford business coupe with OD and a 312 'F' engine!!

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
Oldmics
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Everything posted on the internet is true !

Why would anyone possibly question the word of a website that uses information supplied by the general public and regurgitated as facts as gospel.

Yeah,I dont see that Nash catching an "F" code ever !  (I consider all Ramblers as Nash)

Oldmics
MoonShadow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
They are claiming the first ever "intermediate" sized muscle car. I don't think any of the big 3 offered an intermediate in 1957.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Lou
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
There were factory and Dealer installed performance set ups long before 1957. like the 39 Buick century twin carb, and the 39 scruby Police option. The first car built for performance I would have to vote for the 1949 Olds 88, a scruby body with a Olds frontend and a Olds V8. Next would be the 1953 Huston twin carb. (not sure what they called the model). Then in 1955 came the Chrysler 300, and in 1956 the power pack scruby and the 360 HP 2X4 Fords, 57 brought the supercharged Fords and Stude Hawk plus the Fuel injected scruby and Pontiacs, along with the Olds J2 3x2. 
I've seen a lot of Rambler Rebels but I've never seen a factory fuel injected one.

Lou
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Spell correct doesn't like C-h-e-v-y changes it to scruby....lol
MoonShadow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

We ran a Hudson super Hornet 308 cube flathead 6 in a stock car in the late 50's. One fast motor! Factory with 2 two barrels.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

ian57tbird
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
A bit of a dark horse.
I guess beauty  is in the eye of the beholder.
Lou
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

In February of 1961 I bought a 55 Ford Victoria, 272 stick shift, with 3.78 rear gears, I had Oldsmobiles for lunch, and  265 and 283 scrubrolets for snacks, then i picked on a 53 or 54 Hudson hornet, I was looking at the Hudson's  tail lights before I was out of first gear..
MoonShadow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Giving up cubic inches plus dual carbs plus inline torque its no wonder. Those old Hudson's were fast. We ran ours in a tube chassis, model A bodied sportsman dirt car.

Y's guys rule!

PWH42
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Lou,you've never seen a fuel injected 57 Rebel because they only built around 4000 of them and within just a few months of putting them on the market,they recalled all of them and replaced the troublesome Bendix FI setup with a carburetor.
That said.for the doubters concerning these cars,all of the car magazines of the time tested these cars with the FI.The only factory stock car you could buy at that time that was faster 0-60 and quarter mile was the 283 horse Vette,and it was only marginally quicker than the Rebel.

Paul,

Boonville,MO

Reading This Topic

Site Meter