Profile Picture

First "muscle car" ?!!

Posted By DANIEL TINDER 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 days ago
Thanks for the information about the Rebel, just goes to show you you'll never to old to learn even at 74.
speedpro56
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Guys, I remember reading either road & track or one of the other road test magazines and their claim was that the 57 supercharged Thunderbird was the fastest production American car that year. Remember that Holme & Moody told on Ford on their HP rating with the supercharged Fords and they were 370 to 380 stock, NOT the 300 stated by Ford. Nascar Horse Power was way more according to Banjo Matthews famous Nascar driver. He told me Bill France made them stop at 350 HP naturally aspirated and when the super charger was added then you could add another 100 to 150 HP and there you can do the math.

-Gary Burnette-

Ol Ford Guy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I think the earliest fast cars for their time, that I remember, were Olds 88's, which started coming with 4 barrel carbs in 1952.  Hudson Hornets with Twin H power dominated NASCAR in the early 50's.  1955 brought the Chrysler 300, and power packs for Fords and scruby's, usually 4 barrel carbs and dual exhaust.  Dodge introduced D500's in 1956, along with dual quads for 56 Fords, Pontiacs and Corvette engines for passenger cars. In 1957 things really got interesting with Olds J2's, fuel injection for scruby's and Pontiacs Tri Power.  The Fords were NASCAR Champions in 56 and the Supercharged 57's won it in 57.  Studebaker had some interesting supercharged R options in Hawks and Larks..  Things really got wild in around 62  with Max Wedge 426 Mopars, 421 Pontiacs , 409 scruby's, 406 Fords and then they started putting big blocks in mid size cars.  I think the early factory hot rods brought on a great era.  

Paul J. - '57 E Code
DryLakesRacer
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.1K reputation)Supercharged (4.1K reputation)Supercharged (4.1K reputation)Supercharged (4.1K reputation)Supercharged (4.1K reputation)Supercharged (4.1K reputation)Supercharged (4.1K reputation)Supercharged (4.1K reputation)Supercharged (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I believe NASCAR outlawed all the multiple carb, FI, and super chargers part way into the 57 season. Some research I found once said near the begining of April. They said the cars were going too fast and restricted every entrant to a single four barrel. Could imagine if the track at Daytona and Talledega had been running at that time.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Daniel Jessup
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
It was really an era when the brakes and tires were so far behind the horsepower. The only "upgrade" I have ever seen or read about was the dual shocks on the front end. What else did these miracle workers do to their cars?

I bought a copy of Charlie's book on y block racing history and thought it was very well done. Will we ever see a day when someone gathers, edits, and publishes information on what these early race car drivers and mechanics really did to their cars for race prep or will all of those secrets go with them to the grave?

Daniel Jessup

Lancaster, California

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

62bigwindow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Months Ago
Dan, what's the title of that book? I'd love to pick up a copy.

Durham Missouri
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
On Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Y-Block-Performance-Charles-Morris/dp/0989114929/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1467465243&sr=1-5

Also
https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Y-Block-Engines-Rebuild-Workbench/dp/1613250614/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GTSGFQ8E72PPYT7FS0Q5

Lawrenceville, GA
62bigwindow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Months Ago
Thanks Charlie.

Durham Missouri
Ol Ford Guy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
When Ford introduced their first real High Performance package in 1960, they did it right.  The HiPo 360 HP 352" came with solid lifters,  high flowing cast iron headers, HD brakes, bigger 15" wheels and HD stiffer suspension. 

Paul J. - '57 E Code
speedpro56
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Like I said, the 1957 factory super charged fords were some of the first to approach 400hp ( Holme & Moody ) Check out a small wright up Titled The fastest 1957 debate rolls on- Auto Roundup and it talks a little more about the insight on the rebel, corvette and T-bird. I owned a 292 for some odd reason that outran the 360 hp solid lifter 352 ford and it also out performed the 1961 375 hp 390 as well and it was stock which just ran exceptionally well and I never knew why. The fords had a lot more hp than what was displayed on their hoods in 1956 and 57 in Nascar Racing and there were some sponsored super charged T-birds in late 1956 as well. I used to talk to these guys that run these engines such as Banjo Matthews, Tom Ingram and a few others that are now gone but their info really help me really  appreciate y-blocks and the real power they put out for their time.

-Gary Burnette-

Reading This Topic

Site Meter