Profile Picture

1955 F100 239 Y-Block. Keep it or Not

Posted By RangerRick 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Good afternoon all from a new member.  I have a very good running 239 EBV in my 55 F-100.  Got the body almost done and working on the suspension.  Already converted to 12V and just have the cab and gauge cluster to finish up.  What I need help on is the motor.  I am getting a tremendous amount of conflicting data on whether there are any after market parts that fit my 239.  Specifically, I want to know if there are any intakes that will fit.  1X4, 2X4, or 3X2.  Most of the sales stuff only lists the 292 and 312 but some advertise fitment for the entire suite of 55 Y-blocks.  Same question for the exhaust.  I want to remove the cross-over and put on dual exhaust.  Are all the y-block headers universal to fit any displacement?  The motor really runs good and I'm not looking for a hot rod so I am OK with keeping the 239 and the limited performance improvement that may result from these 2 upgrades.  Appreciate your input.  Rick.
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I'm a long ways from an expert on the 239. I know they use a smaller water pump, different cam/dizzy drive, different oil pump drive. The big deal in your case is going to be the heads. The 272-292-312 heads had much larger ports. Dropping a bigger intake for a later model isn't just a port mismatch, but I'm not sure the ports will take much more air flow. With a stock motor and even the "right" 4 barrel or 3 2's manifold, I think you'd only need the primaries or the center carb. There might be some option from a 256 Merc, but I don't know.

On the exhaust side the mismatch isn't such a big deal. Some of the truck guys here can tell you if the ram's horns will fit. That would give you a cleaner look and duals.

I don't where you're located, but decent 272-292's are around here pretty reasonable. So I'd do a little to make it look good, but not spend a lot on something that won't transfer to a later motor. A little paint and clean up, it'll be a fine cruiser. And you'll be the only one who has a 239. All other y blocks with the hood up (or for sale) are 312's.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
MoonShadow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 37 minutes ago
I've seen intake's for the 239 show up on EBAY often. They generally have smaller ports than the later engines. Exhaust manifolds will work and tests have shown that the 57 up duel system scores pretty high on the dyno. I believe the main difference in the distributor is the drive gear had fewer teeth so a 57 up distributor should work using your old gear. Distributor and carburetor are a must change to get any performance out of a Y-Block. The Load a matic's are crap. Check out John Mummert's site at  http://www.ford-y-block.com/ He has a listing of part numbers. He and several people on this site should be able to give you the "best" part numbers for your engine.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
this is a 55 engine same as later y blocks
RangerRick
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)

Revisiting this 7 month old question.  Brief background is I really want to keep the 239 because it runs perfectly but trying to make it look a little less like a farm truck.  I found a small port, 4-barrel intake that I believe is the 256 mercury from 54.  EBY casting. Before I tear apart my motor, what do you think?  Everything else I think I can find to dress up the motor.  Intake has some remnants of a teal color.  Is that possibly the marine motor.  Thanks, Rick

Butch Lawson
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago

The EBY intake is a '54 Mercury intake that uses the small base carburetor.  I ran one on a '54 Ford 239 with pretty good results. I used an adapter to mate a Holley 390 to the small base intake.  I took the loadamatic distributor out and replaced it with the later model with vacuum advance.  The 239 distributor has a "tang" drive and the later model has a hex rod to drive the oil pump, so the oil pump will need to be changed as well to accept the hex drive.  The tooth count on the cam gear is different on the 239, so the cam gear will need to be changed from the 239 distributor to the later distributor.  All are minor changes, but the 239 will run much better.  Mine was not a powerhouse after the changes, but there was a noticeable difference in the way the engine performed.

Butch Lawson

Manchester,  TN

pintoplumber
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I have an Edelbrock 354 on my 239. With multiple carbs or a modern 4 barrel you'll have to change the distributor, oil pump and drive. If your old distributor has a 13 tooth gear on it, you'll have to put it on the '57 and up distributor. How much are you thinking of tearing down the old engine?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA
RangerRick
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks for the info, Butch and Dennis.  When I said tear into it, that was only to replace the intake and get rid of the crossover for dual exhaust if I went forward with the plan.  The motor runs great and doesn't need to be rebuilt.  Noted on the disty, and oil pump changes that also would be required.  Thanks again guys.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter