Profile Picture

312 cam bearings, Isky e4 cam.

Posted By Mike. 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Hi. Anybody had trouble fitting an Isky E4 camshaft in a 312? Fitted new cam bearings into block ( Durabond F9A) and tried to fit new camshaft in. Would not even enter the bearings. Measured the cam journals on the E4 and they are 10 thou bigger thaan the old cam. Old cam goes in very easily and turns freely. Do I have a faulty cam or this normal for Isky?
Dave V
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)

Last Active: 16 hours ago
I installed one in a 57 312 3 years ago with no problems.  Love the cam.  Dave V

SE Wis
57RancheroJim
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I put an E4 in mine three years ago with no problem, can't imagine why yours is .010 larger?
DryLakesRacer
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I'm lucky to be local, but call Isky in Gardena Ca. and tell them what you have. I know they make larger diameter journals and bearings for blocks that have spun them. They have always been ez to work with and if the cam is new they may just exchange it. If not redoing the journal surface is not that big of a deal. Good luck

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
slumlord444
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Line bore the bearings to make it fit? Seem to recall that this was standard procedure back in the day? Definitely had to do some minor fitting on the bearings on my 312 when I rebuilt it in 1968 and installed new cam bearings and a Crane cam.
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Did you try contacting Isky about it?

Lawrenceville, GA
Mike.
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)Supercharged (102 reputation)

Thanks all. Seems a little strange. I will contact Isky and see what the score is. It's a bit awkward dealing with the USA from here in the UK,, but I'll try and get through to somebody 😀. I could turn the cam down but I really shouldn't need to.
Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Mike. (6/10/2016)
Hi. Anybody had trouble fitting an Isky E4 camshaft in a 312? Fitted new cam bearings into block ( Durabond F9A) and tried to fit new camshaft in. Would not even enter the bearings. Measured the cam journals on the E4 and they are 10 thou bigger thaan the old cam. Old cam goes in very easily and turns freely. Do I have a faulty cam or this normal for Isky?

I’ve dealt with a lot of Isky cams and never had one that wouldn’t fit the stock cam bearings.

By the book the cam bearing journals are expected to be 1.926 ±.0005”.  I checked a new Isky Y camshaft I had sitting here and it falls to the low side of that spec (1.9255”) so no problem there.  I do keep cam bearings in stock that are 0.010” undersize (oversize depending upon your perspective) which requires the cam journals to be turned down.  Those undersized cam bearings are clearly marked with a special suffix on the part number though.  Is there a chance you are dealing with a set of 0.010” undersize cam bearings?  What are the journal diameters on the new Isky camshaft you have?

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Mike.
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hi Ted. I bought stock bearings from Mummert. I didn't check the size. I installed them and the old stock camshaft slid in easily so I think the bearings must be stock. I cant measure the cam journals right now as the cam is at my workplace, we did measure it yesterday but I can't remember what it measured.
Cliff
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Hi, I had the same problem (still have),  the old cam was worn and fit the bearings, however the new one would not even start, I am going to remove the cam bearings and try another set, my cam is a Howards ground on a CWC blank, I think the bearings may have been oversize and I did not read the box. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter