Profile Picture

Oil Pressure Drop at Higher RPM

Posted By charliemccraney 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 days ago
Should be OK now. That bell shaped P/U was wrong for that pan. Never seen one like it...what did it come off of?

"FREE SAMPLE"
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 7 hours ago
It came off of a Y-Block, with that oil pan.
I have three other truck pans and pickups which are off of engines and they are the type of pan without a baffle and have the removable screen type of pickup.  One is an HD truck pan.  Maybe the baffled pan came with the bell shaped pickup.
When I used the non baffled pan, the pressure would drop considerably when coming to a stop.  Maybe they revised the pickup position when they added the baffle, to prevent that.

Lawrenceville, GA
DryLakesRacer
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Have you ever thought of making your own pickup? I looked at a lot of them and found a rectangular one where the line was on the side or at a slight angle up from one of the sides and not the top for my GMC 6. I found some 7/8" dia. steel tubing with some bends, cut, and welded until it was where I wanted. I believe it was a Moroso for a pretty large engine like a FE or Pontiac. As I remember the tubing on the pickup was a little smaller than the -12 bulkhead fitting I welded on and the sealed to the pan.. Good Luck.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Y block Billy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I think your on the right track with cavitation issue, are you restrickting flow to the top at all? The FE guys swear by running 1 quart over because they say the FE's will suck the pan dry on a hard run.

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

I've pinched the overflow tubes so that they have about a 1/32" opening.

Lawrenceville, GA
tomfiii
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
It's from a x-block article about cavitation.
http://www.enginelabs.com/news/moroso-offers-an-expanded-line-of-performance-wet-sump-oil-pumps/
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The link goes to what is essentially an advertisement for Moroso Oil pumps.  Is that what you meant to link?

Lawrenceville, GA
tomfiii
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Yes it does, I was thinking their description of cavitation and what they did was why I placed it.
glrbird
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Here is a couple of choices, maybe you could make work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moroso-Oil-Pan-21960-U-Weld-It-Oil-Pan-Kit-Oval-Track-Steel-/291639690486
http://donrossfab.com/oil-pan.htm

Gary Ryan San Antonio.TX.

charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'm actually working with Moroso, to have one made.  They'll have all of the engine specific info to build pans for Y-Blocks.  Chassis clearance and such will be the responsibility of the buyer to provide.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter