Profile Picture

2016 EMC Vintage class heavy on Y Block entries

Posted By RB 8 Years Ago
Rated 2 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 hours ago
I was at Jerry's a week ago today and he made note of the short build time left. I only saw the block done -- he described it as a good day of work left. I think he also had the porting work done on the heads.

MplsMike
'56 Parklane
Minneapolis, MN
ian57tbird
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
John what bore/stroke combination were you looking at to get 410 inches?
Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
That was a misprint on my part.  Should have read 401 cubic inches and it gets there by way of a 3.860” bore and 4.280” stroke.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

PF Arcand
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Ted: Just musings; I know that there are theories that support going to bigger displacements, but in the case of a Y-block, is there any good reason to want 401cu inches over 375 inches?  My amateur thinking on this, is based on the fact that the cylinder head design was never intended for anything like 400 inches. Now, we know that Mummerts heads are a substantial improvement on stock heads, but he was limited somewhat on alterations in order to make them available as bolt ons. I would think the most obvious item possibly compromised, being valve sizes. I'm looking at this from point of efficiency/ cu in. which is what the EMC rules are supposedly about, despite the way Hot Rod tends to present the results..     

Paul
Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
In the EMC competition, a 401 incher would have an advantage over the 375 incher in regards to making better low end torque numbers.  And with this years’ rpm test range being 3500-6500 rpms, then having an engine that peaks out at a higher rpm is counter-productive in making a better score.  The 401 incher would make for a better score even though peak horsepower numbers are lower.  Having restricted flow at the heads as a result of being larger in cubic inches would be suitable in this particular dyno competition where the rpm range is on the lower side.

All theory at this point until actually tested.  The 375” Y for the EMC is sitting here waiting on a distributor.  Once that’s in hand, it goes on the dyno for some serious tuning.  I have installed a EMC specific camshaft that is good only for this competition and will simply be a paper weight once this competition is over.  Up until this year, I’ve been using conventional camshafts which made the engine suitable for resale after the competition but did hold the engines back when it came to better scoring.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

PF Arcand
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Interesting ideas, thanks Ted..

Paul
ian57tbird
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Sorry Ted. I got mixed up with who posted 410 inch with the all the pics.
Didn't realize it was possible to get such a long stroke out of a Yblock. Is that a Lincoln Y?
Thought more low end torque and less peak power might be an advantage for street purposes.
John Mummert
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

This years EMC engine for us is a revamp of the old 331cu.in. engine that we ran in Todd Fergusons Falcon. The engine was replaced this year with a 355 cu.in. engine that has been running very well.  
  The engine was originally brought back into service to have a mule to test the intake manifold with.  We were trying to get the manifold done earlier this year to test it on the 355.  The time frames just weren't working out. One thing leads to another, as we were pondering, we started figuring out that we would have a spare performance oriented engine, that we would be doing dyno testing and doing R&D with.  So being more than 1/2 way there we decided to enter. The headers were built to fit an F-100.

Some general specs. 

Bore 3.84"  Racetec  13.0:1 comression 
Stroke 3.57" offset ground C1TE truck crank
Rods  Molnar 6.125
CNC ported  Mummert heads
1.7 Roller Rockers
Marine oil pan to match short timing cover
Stock ford oil pump with a few tricks
Custom ground Isky, duration and lobe center a little shorter than the cam we raced with.

We tried  a plethora of intake manifolds and the new tunnel ram worked out well so that was a relief.  We ran across some interesting things along the way, don't  know what it all means but were changing the waterpump to Teds electric unit. We think it will have more water flow than the moroso electric motored stocker.

The engine has a good powerband and made some decent numbers. Engines are funny I still laugh at the things that made power and the things that didn't. Will it be enough, who knows.  Haven't been to the event since 2002, so just doing it will be fun.  

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 22 minutes ago
Are the headers one off or a proposed production item?  I'm in the market for a better than currently available truck header.

Lawrenceville, GA
Cliff
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Go John

Reading This Topic

Site Meter