Profile Picture

Found a deal on a good running 292

Posted By junkyardjeff 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
A friend is buying a 56 and he has to have a 302 so I am going to trade him the 48,000 mile 70 302 that is in my 65 custom 500 for the 292,FOM and rear end from the 56. Next week we are going to go look at and drive the 56 to see how it actually is and if its a nice motor I will do the trade after he buys the 56,I really do not want to give up that motor but if it gets me a Y block for my 55 that I do not have to rebuild then it will be worth it and I can always find another 302 to put back in the 65. I really wanted to go with a FMX when the 55 gets a Y block again but I can learn to live with the FOM for awhile and the 292 will be getting the 57 intake and 62 distributor I have along with a pair of 57 and up exhaust manifolds before it goes in my 55.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
62bigwindow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Months Ago
Great! Hope it works out.

Durham Missouri
Lou
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
The FMX and the Ford-0- are the same trans, most internals interchange . The only difference is the FMX starts in first gear. 
bkarim
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Hi I am a new member, I just found this site and very happy to of found it.

I currently am restoring a '64 M-100 that has a 223 with the 3 speed on the tree ( I believe a T-89) the rear axle is 3:89 ( Just had new Locker gears put in)
I would like to know if I use the same engine and go to a T85 R-11 with Electric OD will this all fit with no modifications needed?

I have an option to buy the proposed tranny that was professionally re built and I am told by the seller ( Private person not a garage) that this will bolt in with NO modifications.
Any one have past experience doing this, if so will this T85 R-11 now allow the RPMS at cruising speed be in the 22-2500 or slightly lower?
- Will this bolt right in?
- Will the RPM in OD at highway speeds be in the low - mid 2000?
I am also advised that all the original linkages will work.

This is for my son and I want it to be done right.
I have a few questions about the motor as well, will post those seperatly
Thanks for your replies, expertise and team responses.
bkarim
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Hello.

The '64 Mercury I just posted a question about the transmission, I now have a question regarding the 223
I am looking to know if there is any mods that can be done to have more horse power, with the 292 Y blocks there is so much on this particular engine, yet almost nothing ( I can locate) on dressing up twith chrome, increasing horespower at all?
I am going to check the slack in the pistons this week coming ( I have the oil pan off and will be putting the piece of plastic inbetween the piston cradel ( sorry cannot think of the terminolgy)  to check the variance in thickness of each of those ( The ford shop manual tells me what it all means)

I have checked the compression ( put sea foam in each plug and turned ignition to check and record the value at each cylinder, both dry and a wet value was recorded) If I recall that there was value difference of 20-30 on one of the cylinders fron=m dry to a wet reading.

I am not so sure what other things to do with checks on this engine...

The engine does start ( When it was in the truck, in matter of fact it started in -25 below zero temperature after been trailered 375 Kilometers , so It shouuld never of even fired, 3 turn of the key produced a wonderful sound. That told me that this is a strong engine, charging system and maybe nothing more that a simple good tune up, plugs, points, distributor and carb scleaning is needed?

Thanks again for reading and look to have your help here, most of the time when I call a shop they want to reip it apart and my gut tells me that may just be a money grab, no concerns paying for what is legit.
Regards,
Brian D. Karim
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Brian, welcome to the site.  Start new threads with these topics so that they can be easily seen and do not get lost in the midst of another thread.

The T85 od install will require modifications.  Most importantly, you will need a T85 od for a truck.  If it is for a car, it will not work because the input shaft will be shorter.  The drive shaft will need to be shortened and you will need to install wiring so that the solenoid works correctly.  All together, though, it should cost less than a swap to a modern overdrive transmission so if it is od you want, and for a truck, get that transmission before it is gone.

RE the 223, this is a Y-Block site, so you might have better luck asking that on a more generic Ford site like FTE or one specific to the '61-'66 trucks like slick 60s.  However people here are bound to know something about them.  Clifford Performance is a source for I6 parts.  I don't know if they have stuff for the 223, but they might.  Even if parts are not available, things like milling the heads, porting, and regrinding the cam with a more aggressive profile are options that can be applied to nearly any engine, no special parts required.

Don't continue in this thread.  Start a new one with your questions.

Lawrenceville, GA
junkyardjeff
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

I do not want to give up the 302 but it will save me from rebuilding the 62 292 I bought a few years ago and should be able to find another 302 much easier then finding a nice running Y block.

carl
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
junkyardjeff (4/7/2016)
I do not want to give up the 302 but it will save me from rebuilding the 62 292 I bought a few years ago and should be able to find another 302 much easier then finding a nice running Y block.
  Jeff  If you need another 302 I have a complete one that was removed from a 73 Comet a  few years ago,it comes with a C4 trans that has a shift kit,just thought I would let you know  Carl

junkyardjeff
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yes I will be needing another 302 and will get with you.I hope this 292 is really nice and will be next winters project to get it in my 55.

junkyardjeff
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I knew it was too good to be true as he is not going to buy the 56 now but still might be able to get the drivetrain from it,I was told the next in line to get it wants to drop a 390 in it so I will see what happens.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter