Profile Picture

Engine will not separate from transmission

Posted By ianmatt 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Need help, something is completely stuck and I am wondering if anyone has run into this problem. 1959 292 and T-98. Got every last bolt out, starter is out. Everything totally undone, got it onto the cherry picker. ( the one with the balancer ) and it wont budge. Shaking engine all around, several pry bars. Made about an inch gap and just no matter what will not go any farther. Guys what in the HECK is binding up in there. The next corse of action is to drop trans and pull out engine with the bell and look inside. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I just had the t-98 completely rebuilt and it was running amazing. Thanks for the help. I have machine shop waiting, already ordered my new mummert aluminum intake. need to order pistons and cam. Want a cam that is streetable but also tiny bit rough. thanks
57RancheroJim
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Are you saying you are making the separation between the trans and bellhousing? I always separate between the engine and bellhousing.
Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Today @ 2:39:34 AM
At this point I’m guessing the transmission pilot hole in the back of the crankshaft is a real bearing and not a brass bushing.  I am very familiar with the input shaft seizing to the pilot bearings in the back of the crankshafts which prevents the transmissions from simply sliding out.  In these cases, it doesn’t matter if the transmission is loosened from the bellhousing or if the bellhousing is loosened from the block; the tranny simply refuses to slide out.  In your case, it sounds like the bearing is seized to the input shaft pilot and the bearing itself has come free from the crankshaft which now has the pilot bearing butting up against the front side of the clutch disk.  When I come across these instances, it simply takes a bunch of ‘wrestling’ to get the bearing to 'break' free of the tranny input shaft.  I’ve even had trouble with this with my 2007 V10 engine and after two factory style roller bearings in that application, I’ve simply machined a brass bushing to go into the crankshaft.

In your particular instance, you may be able to unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel at which point you will get the transmission to come off the engine with the bellhousing still attached.  You'll have to rotate the engine to get all the pressure plate bolts loose.  Once the tranny and bellhousing are removed, you can address getting the bearing off the end of the input shaft.  I've had to deal with fully enclosed bellhousings on some of these instances and those are tough as you cannot easily get to the pressure plate bolts.

If this is not the problem, be sure to share what you find.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

petew
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
If you have gotten it out an inch then you have probably cleared the pilot bushing. If I were you I would try to block the engine and trans up so you could slide under it and with the dust shield removed at the bottom of the bellhousing  have a look up at the clutch and throw out bearing. I would suspect the input shaft is fouled in the clutch disc or throw out bearing . If the clutch arm is not loose and able to move then the arm could have cocked and jammed the throw out bearing against the input shaft sleeve . This could only be the case if you are trying to remove the trans while the bellhousing is still attached to the engine. If you are trying to split it at the engine then it could be the input shaft is some how jammed in the clutch disc.                   
A look from the bottom may yield some clues.
petew
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I guess Ted and I were posting at the same time !
suede57ford
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)

I recently had a 292 with a manual trans out of truck, that had a bolt holdin the clutch pivot bracket on that was threaded into the bell housing.  First time I had seen that, but I was sure all the bolts were out and it really threw me off.

Pat

Pat Fleischman

ianmatt
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)

Dirt guard was holding the flywheel. Amatuer mistake. But it was my first time pulling an engine and nw i know. now need to order dirt shield.
Hollow Head
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Life is learning all the time we spent above ground level. Next time you will remember that thing Blink.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e3fd9a79-e7c3-47ff-a648-8cd5.jpg Seppo from Järvenpää, Finland
www.hollowheads.net (just click the hole in the head to proceed)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter