Profile Picture

55 front disks

Posted By RayDav 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I thought I had a simple fix. I have a 76 TBird parts car. The ball joint mounts are the same distance apart, and the 55 and 76 use the same ball joint nuts.

So I tried one. The top ball joint studs fit. The bottom, while they have the same nut, the 76 taper area is larger, but the 55 stud can be shimmed.

However, the 76 spindle/rotor adds an inch to the track. I am using 235/60/15 on 7 inch rims. They just fit. Flared fenders anyone?

I guess it is back to Scarabird.

Ray
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Has that combo got room from the upper ball joint to the wheel to add more backspace to the wheel?

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
RayDav
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)

The wheel fit on the stock spindle OK. The 76 disk moved the hub outboard an inch and took the rim with it. I could get a wheel that leaves the hub moved outboard, but moves the rim inboard an inch. Front wheel drive got us wheels that have no outboard dish at all, so I could maybe find a wheel that fit. I have taken stock steel wheels, removed the rivets, dissembled the rim and hub, reassembled them the way I wanted, and re-riveted.

But different wheels is not an option. The wheels are vintage slot mags and part of a chosen visual package.

I have yet to find commercial kit that does not change the track.

Ray
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

I sent a PM.

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
slumlord444
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
So the kits the T-Bird vendors have widen the track?
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Slumlord, best I can recall the kit I bought had a thin spacer that slipped on the spindle, followed by a new set of bearings. Had a bracket to hold the caliper, a Fairlane caliper, and Granada rotors with the outer hub turned down for the smaller center opening on early wheels. My car had a set of aftermarket 5x15 wires. There was no noticeable change or interference after the disk were installed. But with 5" wheels and stock size radial replacements, there was plenty of clearance. But I think it must have widened the track by 3/16 to 1/4". The car currently has 7x15 wheels with 225/60 15's, 3.5" backspace.

I've done a couple OT conversions on mid 50's scrubs for my buddies, and at least one widened it enough we had to roll the fender lip just slightly. So it can happen.

That was the kit I used, and a memory from 18 or so years ago.

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
dbird
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I used a Scarebird conversion which adapted Lincoln brake rotors the the Thunderbird spindle using the spacers that Miker referred to.  I didn't measure before and after track, but the difference was minor.  I might note that just because the inside bearing was moved outward, it doesn't mean the hub flange was.  While the inside bearing was moved outward, the whole assembly moved the outside bearing inward, requiring some shimming as in an extra washer to allow for enough adjustment, so hub to hub might not be all that different. FWIW, the disc brake kit on my F100 used a similar spacer, but I have yet to put the fenders on to check clearance.

Don
RayDav
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

miker (3/21/2016)
I sent a PM.

Sent how?  I have not figured that part out yet.

What is "Subscribe" at the bottom of a compose page?  I thought it might get me an email notice, but I have not gotten any.

Ray

RayDav
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

RayDav (3/21/2016)

I have yet to find commercial kit that does not change the track.

I bought a Granada kit.  We shall see.

miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

When you log in, there should be a drop down menu the shows "inbox" where the PM appears. I know some members have problems with that working.

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter