Profile Picture

Rear springs

Posted By RayDav 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I could not find a topic search function.  Is there one?

I have a 55 wagon. I am just starting a rebuild. I like the ride height as it is; very slightly higher in the rear. However, it is only higher because someone flipped the shackles.

Can someone suggest a factory spring, that I can order, or possibly something late model that I can get from Pic-a-Part, that will get me the current ride height but allow me to put the shackles back where they belong?  For this application stiff is good.

TY
Ray

charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 46 minutes ago
You can have the springs re-arched.  Take a measurement of the current ride height, flip the shackle, measure again and have a spring shop make the adjustment, which should be the difference between your two measurements.

However, if the springs require re arching with the shackles in the correct orientation, then something else is out of whack.  You'll need to figure out what and fix that, if necessary, 

Lawrenceville, GA
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I'm with Charlie on both points. If the springs are original, they're probably just collapsing, and new ones might be in order. There is a search function here. On my tablet it's the "magnifying glass" upper right. I think it's different on other devices. If you don't find anything here, go over to the fordbarn.com. Lots of members in common, but probably more chassis info there.

Off topic for your post, but my buddy's got an OT 56 wagon, with air shocks. They work well both to set ride height and pick up the occasional load. I'm guessing you can find them, too. Not a substitute for worn out springs.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
speedpro56
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Another easy fix is just add an extra leaf to each side. The leaf being slightly shorter than the top spring. This should take care of your problem and if not enough then add another if you want a high rear.

-Gary Burnette-

Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
RayDav (3/9/2016)
I could not find a topic search function.  Is there one?

The search function can be found under the’ Explore’ tab.  Once the ‘explore’ popup window comes up, then scroll down and ‘search’ will be displayed.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

RayDav
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
The 54 spring is 7 leaf, 105 # rate, 825 # capacity, rather flat. The 55 spring is 5 leaf, 110 # rate, 810 # capacity, with greater arch. I got this 55 wagon with 7 leaf, rather flat.

I just ordered a pair of 7 leaf, high arch, 1070 # capacity, number two leaf wrapped over the eye.  If you have ever broken a main leaf, forward of the axle you understand the wrap.
Fty6Vic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi,
Are you still looking for a set of rear springs for the 55 ? I have a new set of Station Wagon springs bought for a Victoria with a continental kit but sold the car before I had a chance to install them. They are new. How many leafs are in your originals

Reading This Topic

Site Meter