Profile Picture

oil leak on the back of the engine

Posted By chris70 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hallo,i found a lot of oil on the back of the engine behind the carb,i'm not shure where it comes from.
I have a 1957 distributor on an 292,does the dizzy need a gasket?
Thanks Christian
MoonShadow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Is this a new build or older engine? I don't think most people use the gasket under the distributor. Helps to keep a good ground. There are a couple of bolt holes on the top of the block at the rear. One holds the plug wire guide to the drivers side. The other usually just has a bolt in it as a plug. One of them could be leaking or missing. Also a valve cover could be leaking and running down or even the valley pan gasket. Clean it off real good and see if you can determine the direction the oil is coming from. Sometime the rear of the valley pan will seep oil especially if its been over tightened. 

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Triple7
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Also I believe there's a plug on the left rear top portion of the head that could be leaking as well. Or shoot even the rear of the valley pan. Could be a few things.

Triple Sevens CC
Central California
Triple7
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago

If you look past the fill tube you'll see a brass plug. That could be a leaking spot.

Triple Sevens CC
Central California
Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
The threaded holes in the cylinder heads behind the intake manifold do need short 3/8-16 bolts in them as these holes are open to the pushrod holes.  One of these is under the distributor cap and the other is directly behind the water temperature sending unit.  If these are left open, they do leak oil.  Be sure only short bolts are used in these two holes as too long a bolt will contact the pushrod and bend it.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

chris70
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)

Thanks everybody for your help,i'll get a closer look on Sunday and check if all the bolts are tight or missing and have a closer look to the valve cover gasket.
pegleg
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Check the rocker covers and pan under the intake also. can leak there and draft from the fan and air thru the radiator will cause it run down the rear of the engine.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

chris70
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Both of the bolts on the back of the heads were missing!!!!! So i think this is where the oil came from.
But now i think i have a bigger problem the oil warning lamp is on and the oil pan is full.Could the missing bolts have caused damages on the cam bearings or main caps or what ever causes oil pressure loss?
pegleg
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
It is possible. I'd get a real oil pressure gauge and install  it to find out what you actually have for oil pressure. Lets start there.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
The missing bolts are only contributors to an oil leak and not related to the oil pressure directly unless you’ve run the engine out of oil.  For your loss in oil pressure and assuming you have adequate oil in the pan, check that the flange nut on the tube going into the oil pump is ‘snug’.  If it’s loose, air can be sucked in there which in turn keeps the pump from pumping oil.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter