Profile Picture

Pulled my 292 heads

Posted By ianmatt 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have a 59 f100 with original 292. engine was running great after pertronix, new carb, headers. I believe I blew a head gasket because I had white smoke coming from the front of the passenger head when I reved the engine. Is was coming into the cab. Also coming from the oil filler tube around the breather. Mt question is what all should I be replacing since I am pulling the heads. I am thinking about having them milled a bit to straighten any surfaces. I bought an aluminum intake from mummert and also new style head gaskets. I have never done this before so learning from youtube and as I go. And suggestions or recommendations would be really great. I'm in Longmont CO and not sure what machine shop to use. thank folks.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/273ddd36-8076-45ff-b6b6-e5d3.jpg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d32dd08a-9223-44cf-a582-7584.jpg
ponymare
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
You might want to have the valves checked, maybe a valve job, did the engine use oil before that happened. Be sure to drain the pan to get out any coolant that might have went down there, and did you mark the 4 head bolts that go through the dowels at the top ends of the block?
Ted
This post has been flagged as an answer
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Adding to what ponymare says, have the heads at least checked for straightness.  Milling the heads will not only insure they have true sealing surfaces but will also help with the compression ratio.  Cc’ing both heads before milling will also let you know if you need to mill the heads two different amounts in which to equalize the cc’s between both heads.  What casting number heads do you have?  Some of the heads have more performance potential than others and the casting numbers will help to identify those.  Did your engine have the steel shim head gaskets when you pulled it down?  If so, then keep in mind that the compression ratio does drop down with the thicker composition head gaskets but that is easily compensated for by either decking the block and/or milling the heads.  Some cylinder heads do not take kindly to excessive milling so this where the head casting numbers come in handy again. 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

ianmatt
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Well I finally got around to pulling the heads completely. I have found I have a hole in the front drivers side piston. Its a small hole but its there. looks tattered up all in the piston like something bounced around in there for a long time. So now that I need a new piston is this a good time to do anything else? Should I update the cam? have the engine bored? Need some help with decision making here. I want a really good daily drivers with a bit more power and efficiency than stock. Thanks a ton in advance for all the help.
Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
ianmatt (3/7/2016)
Well I finally got around to pulling the heads completely. I have found I have a hole in the front drivers side piston. Its a small hole but its there. looks tattered up all in the piston like something bounced around in there for a long time. So now that I need a new piston is this a good time to do anything else? Should I update the cam? have the engine bored? Need some help with decision making here. I want a really good daily drivers with a bit more power and efficiency than stock. Thanks a ton in advance for all the help.

If the cylinder in question managed to come through this without damage, then you can consider a single replacement piston assuming the wear factor on the cylinder is within acceptable limits.  The overall condition of the engine will dictate if you want to do a single cylinder fix or do a complete rebuild.  Cylinder bores do need to be checked for wear which will be just one consideration of doing a complete rebuild or not.  There are lots of used pistons sitting loose so using a used piston in lieu of a new one should not be an issue assuming the used piston is in good condition.

I’m always in favor of an updated camshaft and especially in those engines that have the 1958-1964 factory camshafts.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter