1956 Crown Vic. Brake lights inop even with switch jumped

Posted By jamestank 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

1956 Crown Vic. Brake lights inop even with switch jumped

Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Just got the Crown Vic and the brake lights don't work at times. The t/s work ok. Does the brake light circut go thru the t/s switch? If so, do you
think it's just the t/s switch itself? Thanks for the help. New to the sight. Was a GM tech for 50 yrs.but the Crown Vic is my favorite.   Thanks, Jim
Meandean
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Not sure if 56 is the same as 55.  I had issues with intermittent brake lights, but my problem was more often that the brake lights stayed on at all times after application of the brakes.  Sometimes it was fine and they turned off but other times they stayed on.  Even when parked and everything off they were glowing.  I would unplug one of the leads to the sender on the master cylinder and then plug it in the next time out and it was fine for a while, but then would do it again.   I replaced the sender (took about 60 seconds) and everything is fine now.  

Like I said, don't know if that's it or not.  Just sharing my experience.

Turn signals were unaffected by brake light operation.
dbird
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Assuming the wiring is similar to the Thunderbird, I believe the brake lights do go through the turn signal switch.  I had a similar problem on my 55 'Bird where the right brake light would not work at times, so I would check the bulb by switching on the right turn signal and it would work and the brake light would work again. I'd get a wiring diagram and follow the wires looking for problems as the switch is neither cheap, about $90 for the Thunderbird, nor is it particularly easy to change, though probably easier on a Vic than a 'Bird.

Good luck,
Don

1955 Thunderbird, 1956 F100 in progress.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Greetings to all: If my memory is working, one of the 2 wires on the stop light switch should be hot at all times. I think that power originates from a fuse in the head light switch. When the stop light switch closes, a voltage is fed to the turn signal switch as dbird stated, where it is routed to both stop lights. When the t/s switch is activated, say for a left turn, the left stop light is removed from the stop light switch circuit and at the same time, connected to the flasher. The right stop lamp, in this example, will remain connected to the stop light switch circuit. Make sure one of the 2 wires on the stop light switch is indeed hot.  I believe Ford followed this scheme through the 50's and much of the 60's.   Hope this helps, JEFF.......

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
paul2748
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The stop lights indeed go through the turn signal switch.  Check the wires at the connector for the steering column wires to make sure they are connected and are not corroded or broken

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter