Profile Picture

Thunderbird trans swap

Posted By EDHYBLOCKER 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I have 57 tbird building 312 now. .60 over ,G heads, domed mummert pistons and rods. Looking to convert my stock auto tranny to a manual 4 speed. Not sure what all is needed, have original rear end rebuilt and in car and wish to keep that. I am looking for a good blend of low end and low rpm at freeway speed. Any help is welcome thanks.

Gary
paul2748
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
You will need the clutch pedal assembly as well as the clutch linkage from the pedal to the clutch throw-out arm.

If your going to a manual trans, go to a 5 speed.  Probably just as much trouble as a toploader and you get the benefit of an O/D

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

EDHYBLOCKER
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

Thanks Paul what 5 speed would be preferable?

Gary
Rowen
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
EDHYBLOCKER, don't mean to cut in but John mummerts site says 93 or older mustang. I am not sure if that is for his adaptor kit or a general ease of fitment
Rowen

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
NoShortcuts
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Welcome to the site, Gary.

Like Paul, I'd encourage you to consider a 5 speed trans. instead of a 4 speed.  The extra gear will give you improved drive-ability and increased driving enjoyment.  For what you're putting together, I'd suggest using a T-5.  That said, there are some significant differences in the T-5s that have been produced over the past 30+ years and what is available today from TREMEC.

Modern Driveline has some helpful information about T-5s on their web site.
Click the links below to see a history of the Borg Warner T-5's development . . .
http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

IF you're interested in a T-5z after reading the above, look at Modern DriveLines stock number MD-552-0251.  Notice that MDL offers different overdrive ratios to their customers.  Consider their optional .73 overdrive ratio offering instead of going with the .63 factory TREMEC o/d ratio.  I think you'll like the final drive ratio in your 'Bird with 3.56 rear gears in the rear end.
Click the link below to see Modern DriveLine's T-5z offering . . .
http://www.safepay.net/cgi-bin/shop/cart.cgi?db=mddata.txt&category=Transmission&merchant=moderndriveline

John Mummert has the adapter you'd need to put the T-5 behind your y-block.  John also has the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing and pilot bearing you might want to use.  I suspect that someone on our Forum can connect you with the 'Bird clutch linkage, y-block bell housing and flywheel you'll need for the conversion.

JM's T-5 passenger car & 'Bird web page can be clicked below . . .
http://www.ford-y-block.com/t5in-cars-bird.htm

Hope this helps.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
EDHYBLOCKER
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Charlie great options and thanks for taking the time and all the help. I think this is the direction I will be taking. Should get after it later in the year, still have the body off the frame completed working on the motor now.

Gary
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
I've got a T-5 in the bird, and a TKO500 in the roadster. Both came from D&D, the service was excellent. Depending on your location, shipping might be less. Both mine have the 2.95 low, and the .8 o/d. The bird has a 3.7? Dana 44. I think the suggestion of the .73 o/d is a good one.

http://www.ddperformance.com/aa251-tremec-t-5-5-speed-transmission-2-95-shd/

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
With a T5, for purely street use, you might be happier with the optional .73 od Modern Driveline have to offer.
For street / strip, go with the .63 od, because that allows you to run a shorter rear gear, which will be better for the strip, and preserve your mileage on the highway.
And depending on your cam choice, you may need a shorter rear gear just for everyday driving on the street, in which case the taller .63 od might also be better when you get on the highway.

Lawrenceville, GA
NoShortcuts
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
charliemccraney (1/21/2016)
With a T5, for purely street use, you might be happier with the optional .73 od Modern Driveline have to offer.
For street / strip, go with the .63 od, because that allows you to run a shorter rear gear, which will be better for the strip, and preserve your mileage on the highway.
And depending on your cam choice, you may need a shorter rear gear just for everyday driving on the street, in which case the taller .63 od might also be better when you get on the highway.

Charlie's recommendations are solid and I agree completely.  The camshaft you use in your 322 build and the 'Bird's intended use are pivotal considerations.  My focus is street driving, stop-and-go drive-ability, and throttle response.  With the displacement you've got you can certainly run something healthier than a stock de-tuned y-block replacement cam.  John Mummert will steer you appropriately in terms of LCA, duration, and overlap for your intended use.  While static compression ratio used to be the focus back in the day, I feel that dynamic compression ratio (when the intake valve closes), LCA, and final drive ratio are critical variables for street, stop-and-go, lower rpm crisp performance, enjoyment, and drive-ability.  I've seen too many vehicles that sound powerful but don't perform smoothly pulling away from the curb or in traffic. 

Again, IF you're looking to do street AND strip, Charlie's recommendations will serve you very well, too.

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
EDHYBLOCKER
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

All great feedback and well appreciated...I was thinking the Isky 4 might be a good cam choice , has the mummert rods and domed pistons, 113 heads new seats and stainless valves.

Gary

Reading This Topic

Site Meter