Profile Picture

Lincoln Y Block water pump Bypass tube

Posted By Joker2 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Rebuilding the top end of my 317 LYB and the water Bypass tube on the water pump and T stat housomg is rotted out - this appears to be a 7/8 OD tube - no luck finding one of this size yet - thoughts on making my own out of Steel/stainless/copper tubing?
Otherwise does anyone have a lead on finding this?

1953 F250 with LYB 317 from a '55 F600 
Thanks
Joker2

'53 F250 Flatbed w/ 55 F600 317 LYB
Owned since '83 from Oakland Ca
charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 9 hours ago
For just the raw material, 7/8" round tubing, metals depot, online metals, a good local industrial supply.

Lawrenceville, GA
Joker2
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (13 reputation)

thanks

paul2748
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
On a YBlock with the 5/8 tube, I used a  1/4  (i think) pipe tap and used a nipple from the "Help" line of  products after removing the old piece of pipe..

If the next size up pipe tap will work in the larger Lincoln hole, tap it and get a plumbing nipple to fit.  I didn't see if the
"Help" line had anything larger than what I used but they may.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Joker2
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks for the reply and thoughts Paul2748- So the suggestion is to thread the slip fitting in the cast water pump?
I all ready have the rusted bybass tube out and the pump cleaned and painted-
This is kind of holding me up to reassemble and fire it up 

Joker2

paul2748
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
I'm not sure what you mean by the slip fitting???    Is this the tube that was rusted out?  I didn't realize that the pipe was in the water pump on the Lincoln as the Ford uses a T Type thing on the water pump.  I threaded the cast thermostat housing after cleaning out the old tube  but can see no reason not to thread the cast iron water pump if it does not interfere with anything

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

RB
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Send me an IM.. I probably have one of the bypass tubes laying around here somewhere. Measure the size of the hole in the water pump. Car and truck use a different size

RB
Joker2
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks RB- But how do IM you?

I ended up using 3/4 type L copper pipe with aviation permatex form a gasket that appears to be working-

However, the water pump is leaking through the weep hole pretty bad so most likely shaft seal is gone.

So I am now looking for a rebuild kit for this water pump

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks again

RB
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
If you click on my name a screen will pop up that has options for contacting me.Just hit IM.

Here is a guy who has kits to rebuild the water pump     http://cowboyjohnsautoparts.com/

Reading This Topic

Site Meter