Profile Picture

Aerostar springs

Posted By Rowen 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Thanks Jim. I'm tellin ya, it really was EASY PEEZIE!!
Thus far I haven't touched ANYTHING but the springs up front and the rear shocks. No spacer, didn't cut the bump stops, even the alignment is good! ( I will keep my eye on the tire ware).
Never felt it bottom out and now I have maybe 50+ miles on it.

I LOVE IT !!!!!!
Rowen

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
Talkwrench
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I cut my bump stops down by nearly half. Ive got about a finger width between at rest  Crazy

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
MoonShadow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I used the bolt up bars that move the lower spring mount down. As a result I didn't have to do anything to the bump stop. Plenty of clearance and no change in the alignment. 
The rear lowering block are, sadly, a different story. That's where I'm getting the harsh ride from. I'm going to change from 3" blocks to 2" and see how that does. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
MplsMike
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Hi Chuck

I put Aerostar springs in my Parklane and think I may be bottoming out. What are the "bolt up bars that move the lower spring mount down"? I imagine they increase the travel on the shock? Are they available after market? Thanks,

MplsMike
'56 Parklane
Minneapolis, MN
MoonShadow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
This is what I'm talking about:
Front-Lowering-Blocks-49-56-Ford
You remove the rivets that hold the lower spring mount and put these 1" blocks in. They will drop the front end 1.5" to 2" without much effect on the geometry. I'm using stock shocks but they are out a bit more. I supported the plate with a jack, drilled out the rivets and inserted two of the longer bolts. Let the jack down then took one bolt loose and inserted the end of the bar. Replaced that bolt then removed the other end and inserted the bar. Put the 3d bolt in and repeat on the other side. This was I didn't have to mess with a spring compressor or removal. My alignment didn't change. Hope this make a little sense. Those block kits are usually listed for over $70.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
62bigwindow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Moonshadow if you want to part with the 3" blocks I would be interested in buying them.

Durham Missouri
GREENBIRD56
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I believe that it will be found that - the spring pan spacers do the job of lowering quite nicely (buy four lengths of 1x1 aluminum bar from "Online Metals" and get your drill out) - but it doesn't fix the lack of roll stiffness. Original travel shocks fit well with the dropped pans - that is a plus. Handling will be better with a stiffer sway bar.

If you go with the variable stiffness Aerostar spring arrangement - you can get some travel height back by using urethane spring spacer rings made for Mustangs. They look a lot like the ordinary 50's Ford spring rubbers - just stiffer. Due to the placement of the spring in the system of parts, they have more effect on ride height than their thickness.

There are urethane suspension parts manufacturers that make various heights of bump stops - and due to the tougher material (urethane) they can be a lower height and do the job well enough to allow a bit more free travel (without the "metal to metal" sort of solid hit). 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
MplsMike
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Thanks, Chuck. Very helpful.

MplsMike
'56 Parklane
Minneapolis, MN
DryLakesRacer
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Rowen, I bought the Aerostar springs and ready to install them on my 56 Vic. My fender well measurement is 26" now with stock rims and 215-78 tires which are 27" dia. I read the Areostar conversion is worth 2" which is what I was hoping for.
My tire plan is 205-75 on 6" American Racing Torque Thrust rims and 225-75 on 7" on the rear. Your making me think 215-75 front and 225-75 rear all on the 6". Both the 6" and 7" have 3.75 back space. Any suggestions out there. I'm start with what's in the photo and a guy on h.a.m.b. Lowered it, put on the rims, and took off the skirts and it looked great. You can find it on page 603 of the "photo shop" thread. Thanks
 http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/dab11845-c719-4386-9b56-ea8f.jpg 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
okiedokie
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I sure like the new look on your 56, that Moose is something else. Here it is.
56 ford.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter