Profile Picture

have noisy vr57 supercharger, who repairs or has parts

Posted By jsimp 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
just got the new engine running with the VR57 blower on it. found out the supercharger is very noisy.  disassembled and found the output spool has some  pits, like a bad bearing would look like. looking for some one with repair parts or a person that repairs the VR57. also had oil leaking out of the output shaft.
MoonShadow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
There is also a vendor on EBAY that sells rebuild and overhaul kits for the VS-57 units that may be able to help you. Also Greg Conely at Paradise wheels has parts. conleyr107@sbcglobal.net Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
suede57ford
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The VR57 is a totally different design blower than the SN or VS series blowers, The VR57 has larger diameter balls than a SN/VS and was a variable ratio(VR) as well.  No SN/VS parts are interchangeable with an original VR57.

The original VR57 rear seal is the major flaw. The original design used blower boost pressure to block oil from coming out behind the impeller. If the blower belt is off or the blower is not making pressure, oil is sucked around the output shaft seal and into the intake track by engine vacuum.  The car cannot be driven with a non-functioning VR57 blower.

The original VR57 was inherently an unreliable blower and Ford/Paxton had tons of issues with them. That is why Paxton went to fixed ratio VS/SN type blowers after that.

Currently, the most common thing to do to a VR57 blower is to have it converted to SN internals.  SN balls, races, seals, output shafts, and ball drivers are still available brand new.    The leaky original design rear seal is retrofitted to the modern SN seal by boring the housing to insert the modern type SN seal. Then the SN size output shaft can be used.   Race adapters are manufactured and pressed into your original case to hold the smaller size SN races and balls are now used.  A new custom designed conversion input shaft is made to hold the modern SN bronze ball driver.  The drive mechanism is now all modern parts that can be replaced if ever necessary   The converted blower will no longer a variable ratio blower, but a fixed ratio, which is more consistent and reliable.  The converted blower uses a special Beeville Washer/Spring to put pressure on the balls and races.  That determined tension is set to a certain rotational force using shims to create the proper tension so the balls don't slip when the boost/rpm goes up, but not to much tension, as to create excessive wear/heat.

A converted blower looks exactly the same on the exterior, but the internals are now modern and the car can be driven regularly again.  Also the car can now be driven with the blower belts off, as the modern rear seal prevents any oil seepage.

The conversion is an investment.   The conversion parts are custom made, specialized, very precise, limited supply, and pain to have manufactured.   You add the cost for the brand new Paxton SN internal parts, and the labor for the time consuming conversion along with testing there is an expense, but you have a modern working and reliable supercharger.

The conversion design was created and refined thanks to several of the senior members of this forum sharing their knowledge and hard work to keep VR57's working on '57 Fords and T-Birds.

Pat Fleischman

jsimp
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Who would a person contact to have a VR converted to SN internals, What would the "investment" cost be? ballpark cost.
miker
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I have a VR series, converted by someone on this forum, who apparently no longer offers this service. Works great. I've never used John Erb. But I've seen him referred on this forum. Don't know what he'll do on a VR.

The DO remarks don't apply to you.

I lifted this note from him, and the phone # from an old HAMB post. Hope it's still good.

"John Erb
John Erb
from Nevada USA
I am sorry to say that a DO McCulloch or DO SN is a real problem. The units were made for a couple of years and discontinued. They do have some value but really very little. The problem is that they do not have an oil pump and they rely on (dirty) engine oil for the traction drive and lubrication and cooling. Engine oil tends to carry water and acid into the S/C so maintenance is high. The unit can be converted to a self contained oil pump unit and even a SN type supercharger. All the VS have a built in governor that sure takes the fun out. That part of the the conversion is real cheap at $28 but the new oil pump input shaft front case and dip stick parts make it rather expensive to make a good unit for you. Most Mcculloch S/C that have new owners have been sitting for a long time and need race lapping and general check out, If this isn't done the S/C is almost sure to seriously fail in less than 1000 miles. Sometimes in less than one mile. You can call me at 775 883 6494 for more info. John "

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
pegleg
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Jim, 
        I like Erb, but send Pat your blower. It will work. Then save money for new rear tires, you're gonna need them.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Rono
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
John Erb converted my VS57 to have the SN internals. I traded him a lot of VS parts (including a second head unit) for the work so I can't give you guys a cost for the conversion. Included with my conversion is a high output impeller and a heavy street spring pack for the ball drive. The motor has only been test run so I can't talk about performance on the street, but hopefully it will be fine.
Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Reading This Topic

Site Meter