Profile Picture

Lowering springs

Posted By 62bigwindow 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Months Ago
Has anyone ordered lowering springs from Jameco? I would like to lower my wagon 2-3 inches.

Durham Missouri
'60 Fairlane
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Be careful with Jamco. Have never used them myself, but if you do an internet search there have been several complaints in recent years about them. Of course we both know you can't trust everything you read on the net.

What year is your wagon? Aerostar springs might be an option for you.

-Dave
62bigwindow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

It's a 56. I looked into that. Looks like a good choice for the front but what about the rear? I don't want lowering blocks.

Durham Missouri
'60 Fairlane
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Cinder blocks in the trunk? Just kidding! I did that as a poor stupid kid in high school, wanted a tail dragger.

Why not lowering blocks? Is there a spring shop in your area that could make a new set of springs, or re-work your originals?
-Dave
charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Rear springs would be leaf springs, right?  Re arching is a very cost effective way to lower, particularly for only 2-3 inches.  The bushings are likely shot, assuming they are original.  Replace the bushings, reinstall the springs and measure the current ride height, take them to a spring shop and tell them how much lower you want them.

I'd do the front first since it will probably be more difficult to custom tailor the ride height there then lower the back however much is necessary to match.

Lawrenceville, GA
miker
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
IIRC, when I put the wagon rear end under my 55 bird (late 60's), the only difference was the spring perches. I needed 1 1/2" or 2". Blocks to bring the car back to level. If the springs need to be gone thru, that's probably the better route.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
62bigwindow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yes it has rear leafs. I was hoping to find a kit for the front and rear like Jameco has instead of piecemeal the parts. With the Versailles spindles I don't think the Aerostar springs would work. Would be too much in the front since I assume they will lower the front 1" I dont want to go any lower than 3" overall.I think I will call my local spring shop to see what the can do. They may have new bushings also.

Durham Missouri
MarkMontereyBay
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I used the Granada spindles on my 57 Bird for the disc brake change. Tried it with the Aerostar springs but it was way too low and had to take them off. 

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

GREENBIRD56
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I was figuring I would end up in the same shape as Mark if I put the shorter progressive rate springs on with the dropped late spindles (way too low). But - I really hate to give up the modern ride and handling of the progressives..... Suppose we would use urethane or rubber spacers on top of the springs to jack the ride height back to where we want it? I don't see any down side to that method. The lower A-arm needs to be roughly horizontal in order to make things work right. 
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/49dd48fe-0c23-40dd-b7e8-e02e.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
62bigwindow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Greenbird, I take it the progressive springs you are talking about are the Aerostar? Do they offer that much of a drive/ride improvement? If the spacer would work and get me to within a 1/2 inch of the back I would definitely try them. I am putting parts together now to rebuild the front end and change to discs so I am thinking now is a good time to do springs also.

Durham Missouri

Reading This Topic

Site Meter