Profile Picture

55/56 Ford history?

Posted By rgrove 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
All,
We were fortunate enough to have been invited to show our 56 sunliner at a concours event in august.  As part of the registration process, they need about 1200 words about the car for the display they are making.
I cant seem to find any definitive info about the evolution of the styling on the 56 ford (or 55 for that matter), and didn't know if you all either had any interesting facts/tidbits/trivia about the 56 cars (or sunliner), or knew any interesting history/design evolution/things that make it a unique/significant car in the automotive world....(kind of a stretch, I know, but....figured id ask).
Any tips, facts, or places to look would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Ron Grove

Wauconda, IL

62bigwindow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Months Ago
I can't add much but look up Lifeguard design. I think that that would be worth mentioning. It was a forward thinking design twords safety ie,seat belts, steering wheel designed to take an impact and the door latches with double latch. As said I'm no expert and may have some of the facts wrong but I think it makes the 56 stand out.

Durham Missouri
rgrove
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)

Thanks for the reply.  I plan to mention the safety push for sure, as well as switch to 12v electrics.  I kind of dig the start of jet-age styling (grille, front turn signals, tail lamps, side trim with the blacked out sections, etc), but I cant really find any info on the origin of that or any interesting history behind it....
Of course there is an interesting story to tell in the Y-block being the first OHV ford engine, etc too...
Im still not sure what to write, and the deadline is fast approaching!

Ron Grove

Wauconda, IL

MoonShadow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Also the lifeguard design had optional padded dash (I think the first offered) and seat belts (for sure the first). Then you can get into the engine. Do you have one of Larry Christensen's T-shirts? The back really lays out the Y-Block advances. Hope this helps a little. Chuck
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b7fa1d96-7b40-42fb-8a44-5769.jpg

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
PF Arcand
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Months Ago
Re racing; Curtis Turner won a then record 22 Nascar convertible division races in 1956 Fords. Also won the the longest race of the year, the Southern 500 at Darlington, in a Customline hardtop, two laps ahead of the 2nd place Chrysler 300-B. Ford was the manufactures champion that year, and the 2nd largest seller in the U.S. market that year. Other stuff; the '56 Fords had ball joint front ends, a more expensive Dodge didn't. In 1957, Karol Miller set a class record in a modified (stock bodied) '56 at Bonneville of aprox 150 mph, that stood for about 13 years...        

Paul
Dave V
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (457 reputation)Supercharged (457 reputation)Supercharged (457 reputation)Supercharged (457 reputation)Supercharged (457 reputation)Supercharged (457 reputation)Supercharged (457 reputation)Supercharged (457 reputation)Supercharged (457 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Ron    I have 2 different articles about the 56 Ford.  "The '56 Ford"  by Tom McCahill  in Popular Mechanics, July 1955.  "Wringing Out The '56 Ford" by Racer Brown  in Hot Rod Magazine, March 1956.  I'm not sure if they are 1200 words like you need but they are 3 full pages between them. Hope you can find them on the internet, otherwise get ahold of me. I'm just north of you near Lake Geneva, Wi.  Good luck.   Dave

SE Wis
Bob Gardner
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)

The Ford plant where the Skyliner was made (Milpitas, CA,,,San Jose area) has been turned into an outlet shopping mall.  Just a fun fact.
speedpro56
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Ford won 56 Nascar races that year compared to scrub's 31. They won more races than any other brand.

-Gary Burnette-

speedpro56
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Wrong number of wins, Ford won 52 Nascar races in 1956.

-Gary Burnette-

Reading This Topic

Site Meter