Profile Picture

Meltdown Drags and towing

Posted By Larry Short 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I'm headed to the Meltdown Drags in Byron, IL. in a few weeks. I think I read somewhere that the police were stopping drag cars and trailers for not having CDL, log books, med. cards, etc. and in general giving racers a hard time and big fines. Anyone know anything about towing in this state ? Do I need to stop at weight stations ? I have a F150 with a 24' feather lite trailer.  Any help will be appreciated.

Larry Short   
62bigwindow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I thought CDL was for commercial use. Your best bet would be to go to the IDOT site and check the laws. I live about 16 miles from Illinois and travel there everyday to work and have never seen or been stopped for pulling a personal trailer. There was a simular problem with a small town west of me.The local yocal would stop you for being 1 mile over the posted limit and if you gave him any gruff he would lock you up for a few days. Didnt help the count judge was his buddy. Good luck.

Durham Missouri
Vic Correnti
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Larry, I have lived in the miserable state of Illinois my whole life and never heard of that one. Don't give them any ideas! I tow an enclosed and never had any problems with either a truck or a 40 foot motorhome. I never have understood why no special license is required to drive a motorhome. Another thing to think about if you are coming on HWY 80 is the tolls. I live near Rockford, Illinois, I checked before I went to Norwalk and round trip tolls would be $137 for a motorhome and a trailer over 7 feet high and not much different with my Excursion. I took US 30 and it was not too bad of a road but about an hour longer.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

Larry Short
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)Supercharged (541 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Thanks for all the info. The reason I was worried was I Googled, Illinois State Police vs. Drag Racers and found some alarming things. Being the nice guy I am they probably won't stop me if I keep it under 90. I talked to Bob Martin to see if the y-blockers that were going could try to meet somewhere and go in to the track together, that way we could pit by each other. Don't know if it will come together but it would help in case someone has problems.

Larry Short   
yalincoln
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
the CDL is for anything with 5 axles, weights more than a certain weight loaded, or has air brakes. they are probably stoping guys with semi rigs, single axle tractor and race trailor. they need a CDL. they are big time truckers, HA! HA!

lincoln/merc. y-blocks &mel's                                                               bucyrus, ohio.
pegleg
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Over 26,000 Gross wt.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter