Profile Picture

New member....256 merc questions

Posted By mustangdude86 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Hello all I'm new to this site.

I have searched high and low to get a thorough rundown of what makes a 256 so different from the newer y's. Any part I can find for y blocks is usually 272 or above. Is there any master info that I could reference on this topic? I'm failing to find a search tool on this forum. For clarification, my dad owns a 54 Merc 2 door that he's had for 20 some years and hasn't really been able to do much with it. Now that I'm well of age and way more tech savy than he is, I'd like to help him get things rolling on the car finally.

Some of the things I/we are curious about is:

1- I found power steering brackets made available on y blocks to adapt a GM version. However, the '54 256 is not listed a match for it. Why is this? Could it be made to work?

2- I've done my research, and more or less if we want to modify this engine in any way, if it's possible, the vacuum advance distributors these engines have, are more or less worthless. Can they be made to accept the 57+ mechanical advance style?

Dobie
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Welcome!

Can't help with the 1st question but the answer to the 2nd question is yes, and you'll be doing yourself a favor even if you do no other engine mods.
mustangdude86
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)

3- This is going to be a few questions in one. Heads. Can you put 272+ heads on a 256? If you can, will the intake need to be changed? And will this also make use of the more common dual exhaust headers available?
4- I see aftermarket rods for these engines, cams also, for all displacements. That least me to assume that the blocks themselves are more or less the same, so that being said, can the block be bored out to accept 272+ forged pistons? are cranks interchangeable?
Bottom line....I have a very hard time believing that nothing is interchangeable, as is the impression I'm getting the more I dig. But if it is true....and the 256 is pretty much useless in performance upgrading and very difficult to restore or rebuild if needed, we'd like to know. If that's the case, it'll be getting a sbf to simplify the drivetrain a bit when it comes to customizability. However, I have taken a special liking to the engine that' in the car now, and would love to tinker with it if the parts are available.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help or at the least point me in the right direction.

^ that stuff was supposed to be on the original post....must have hit a limit. Smile
Dobie
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Scroll down in this article. It has some good info on what interchanges and what doesn't.

http://yblockguy.com/identify_y-block.htm
pintoplumber
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Your 256 is the same bore as a 272. If you get a 272/292 crank you can turn it into a 272.

Newer heads will fit on your block, but you will have to drill another water passage in the block. I did this with a 239 block a couple of years ago and posted some pictures on this site. If I can find it and figure out how to post a link I will.

I also changed the distributor to the 57 and up style. You'll have to pull the 14 tooth gear off the new distributor and put on the 13 tooth gear from the old one.

I have a 239 that we bored +.125 and turned it into a 256. 2 years ago I put a 312 crank in it and turned it into a 283. Back in the early 2000's  Isky ground an E-4 cam for me. I don't know if they still have blanks. At that time they did.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic111036.aspx?Keywords=how+to+put+newer+heads+on+a+239#bm111042

See if that works.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA
mustangdude86
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Thanks for the good information! It sounds like this engine is more customizable than I originally thought. I don't know if I'd want to try to drill into the block for newer style head though. Maybe I could have someone do it for me.
mustangdude86
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Another question...will a lincoln y-block crank work in the ford/mercury engines? if not given the info i'm seeing from previous links, a 312 crank should work in the 256 block correct?
pintoplumber
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The 312 crank will need the mains turned down to the 256/272/292 size. The piston skirts will need to be cut back a little so they don't hit the crank throws.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA
Ted
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
mustangdude86 (6/29/2015)

Another question...will a lincoln y-block crank work in the ford/mercury engines? .....

The LYB crankshafts will not work for the Y engines simply due to the main journal placements being further apart on the crankshaft than what is found in the Y family of blocks.  The LYB crankshafts share the same bore centers as the FE engines while the Y-Blocks share the same bore centers as the small block Ford engines.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter