Profile Picture

57 Monterey Merc o matic 2 speed

Posted By hensleys1 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
This car is still in original condition. It runs but hasn't been driven or started in about a year. I started her up and the merc o matic buttons will not engage the transmission. I can't hear or feel her come out of park but the large park button is moving back and forward. The four N/S, D, R, and L buttons press smoothly down to the plate without clicking. They just do NOTHING. I'm not a mechanic but I did manage to rebuild the carb a few years ago.  That said: can anyone tell me where to start with this problem. I own a maintenance manual, some hand me down tools, and an incredible car that my grandmother was the original owner of. And I promise to never let it sit again. 
Lou
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Fluid level is low, add correct ATF 
PF Arcand
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Besides low fluid, it sounds like there's an electrical problem, possibly a relay or solenoid failure.. Just for the record you refer to it as a two speed transmission & other do also. It's a 3 spd, but low is by select.. 

Paul
Meandean
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I always tell people, "It's a three speed that thinks it's a two speed."
2721955meteor
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

1957 MERC IS A MECKANICAL ACTUATED PUSH BUTON .THE CABEL GOES INTO THE TRANS AND COULD HAVE COM OFF THE VALVE BODEY.THE ONLY ELECT HOOKUP IS THE NUETRAL START BUTON AND THE LIGHT. YOU WILL HAVE TO DROP THE PAN TO SEE IF CABEL CAME OFF(AFTER YOU AR SURE THER IS ADEQUET OIL. i owned a 57 merc and ohauled the trans which with correct throtle presure adjust meant is a 3speed and will start in 1
hensleys1
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Thanks for the input. It seems to have adequate ATF in it now. But the buttons still won't engage. I'm not sure I would tackle the pan by myself. I'll be checking around for help!
2721955meteor
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

hensleys1 (6/22/2015)
Thanks for the input. It seems to have adequate ATF in it now. But the buttons still won't engage. I'm not sure I would tackle the pan by myself. I'll be checking around for help!
  the pan removal is easey ,if there big parts in the botem new storey. be sure to have a pan
big enoug to hold 4-6 quarts of oil it is a simple job,when it is off you will see a clip that holds the cabel in place,get a pan 
MoonShadow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 25 minutes ago
I don't know if that pan has a drain plug but if it does your ahead. If not loosen all the bolts a little then put your pan under one corner and start removing the bolts alternating down each side. Once the oil starts draining at the corner let it drain a while then continue to loosen the rest of the bolts. There is still oil in the pan so be patient. Once it stops flowing over the edge of the pan you can hold it like a drink tray and pull the rest of the bolts. The transmission will still drip for a while so keep the pan handy. Once the pan is off its pretty clear. The filter will have a couple of bolts holding it up. As long as you are in there you might as well do a new filter and oil. As mentioned if the cable is off that's the problem but if you find metal shavings and chunks in the pan its dead! Oh and make sure you have the car up on 4 jackstands solidly placed. Don't want to lose any more Y-Blockers. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

Reading This Topic

Site Meter