Profile Picture

Head gasket? w/ pic

Posted By jeves 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
This is my first engine build.

It started strong and I let it run for about 20 minutes before putting 50 miles on it. It smoked blue the entire time from the exhaust and downdraft tube, started dripping oil down the center driver side header, and the oil has a lot of moisture in it. This pic shows a lot of oil soaked into the header gaskets. Is this normal? The pass. side looks similar without dripping like cyl 6-7. I know it can take a while for the rings to seat. Maybe I used a long head bolt in the middle and punctured the gasket. I also question valve lash, except it runs strong. 

Any ideas are much appreciated before I tear down again.

- Josh

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/531e5c77-dc70-486b-a1ea-01f8.jpg

~ JE

'56 F-250 with 292

stuey
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
oil leaking from valve covers maybe
stueyErmm
miker
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
First question, do the square comers of the head gaskets both show forward and inboard on the motor. That would normally cause a heating problem, not blow by.

Study is right, check the valve cover gaskets, could be too tight and slipped, or too loose.

If you used OEM rings, seating will take a while, but your blow by seems excessive if the gaskets are ok. How do the plugs look?

When you say a lot of moisture, are there bubbles in the radiator, or have you lost coolant?

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
jeves
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
miker (5/4/2015)
First question, do the square comers of the head gaskets both show forward and inboard on the motor. That would normally cause a heating problem, not blow by.

Study is right, check the valve cover gaskets, could be too tight and slipped, or too loose.

If you used OEM rings, seating will take a while, but your blow by seems excessive if the gaskets are ok. How do the plugs look?

When you say a lot of moisture, are there bubbles in the radiator, or have you lost coolant?

Yes, square corners are front and center. Valve cover gaskets were dry on the outside edge when I pulled them. There was white film inside the valve covers and on the dip stick, with dew drops on the dip stick. I will check plugs when I get home. 

~ JE

'56 F-250 with 292

Pete 55Tbird
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Before you tear it down do as many test on the running engine as you can. Compression, vacuum, leakdown. Check the engine oil for water and or unburned gasoline. With engine running and radiator cap OFF, check the coolant for bubbles. Pete
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
what kind of rings did you use was the cylinders rebored.did you check the rings for gap
Ted
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Be sure to pull the dipstick and check the oil in the pan.  If it’s milky, you have water in the oil which means searching out where it’s coming from. 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter