Profile Picture

Temporary metal coating recommendations?

Posted By Bill Childs 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
My Y block build has been shelved for now. While searching and gathering parts I ran into a sweet deal on another '56 effie project much further along. It came with a massive inventory of spare parts and a price I could not pass up (not a Y block truck - a mere built 351W, C6, and 9" rear with 0 miles).

All my Y block engine castings have just been cleaned and inspected for damage. The Y project will need to sit on a shelf for a year or two so I'm wondering what I should do to eliminate as much new corrosion as possible while it watches me build something else. It's all in a heated garage but we're in the NW and only about 1/2 mile from salt water - so doing nothing about it is not a sound option. Can anyone recommend an appropriate lubricant or coating that will prevent most oxidation but also not be a lot of work to clean off when I get back to the project? Thanks.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9908d02b-3173-4427-9530-fad4.jpg

Bill C
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/61bc0a7f-ca1c-4ce4-b1f2-4b5b.jpg
Drag it home, figure it out.
charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
wd-40, motor oil

Lawrenceville, GA
NoShortcuts
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Like Charlie, I have previously used WD-40.  My experience with WD-40 is that it evaporates.  If you use it for rust prevention, re-apply it periodically.  The other problem that I have encountered in using WD-40 on firearms, is that it will leave a residue on the internal mechanisms that can cause problems with the mechanical action,

For the storage of engine parts, regardless of humidly issues, Gibbs Brand lubricants are AMAZING at not allowing oxidation (rust or oxidation) to occur.  This stuff is not cheap, BUT it is the only thing I'm using now for things that are 'on hold' 'til I get to them.  The specifications and uses for this 'lubricant' are phenomenal!  I recommend it unconditionally.

Click the Internet address below to see a listing of this on eBay Motors.  The eBay listing is in an aerosol container.  It can be obtained in liquid form also.  I've purchased this through eBay vendors and also from vendors on Amazon.  Prices vary depending upon vendor and amount being purchased. 

This is one of those products that if you try it, you won't settle for anything else.  It's that good!  I learned about it on the Forum about two years ago.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Gibbs+Brand&_sacat=6000

Hope this helps.  Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Bill Childs
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)Supercharged (196 reputation)

The Gibbs Brand lubricant looks interesting. Expensive, but most quality tools that work good are. Thanks for the link NoShortcuts - buying by the case gets the price down. Maybe I can find someone to split a case with.
I use wd40 sometimes, but since it's about 50% mineral spirits it's not the best choice as a lubricant for storage. Besides guns, people ruin bikes with wd40 also. As a solvent it drives dirt and grime further into chains and gears when used as a quick crutch. As a lubricant it doesn't last long in applications such as this.

Bill C
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/61bc0a7f-ca1c-4ce4-b1f2-4b5b.jpg
Rono
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Months Ago
When I moved my shop from Maine to California, I sprayed WD-40 on my head cores and then wrapped them in the plastic moving wrap you can buy from U-Haul that comes in different size rolls. The plastic wrap clings well to odd shaped pieces and is air tight. The parts stayed wrapped for 8 months until my new shop was done and worked really well for protecting the heads and other parts I had wrapped.
Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Bill Childs
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Roger that plastic wrap plan Rono! My machinist offered to wrap all the parts when I picked 'em up last week but I wanted to get a thorough lubrication on all the metal first. Good to know that the wd40 didn't disolve the plastic wrap and make a sticky goo mess. I always envision the possibility of unpleasant chemical nightmares when combining products such as this for the first time. A mild lubricant fogged on and wrapped should keep the dreams sweet. Thanks.

Beautiful country you're in Rono. My north/south roadtrips deviate down 395 whenever possible. Mammoth Brewery "IPA 395" highly recommended if you like good brew... and a dip into Hot Creek any time of year.

Bill C
5d6fairlane
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
LPS-3
Lou
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Check with a company that does injection molding, there is a spray they use on thier molds for storage that will fill your needs.
dbird
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I've used Boeshield T-9 to prevent corrosion on my bicycle stuff.

Don
Bill Childs
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for jogging my memory glands dbird. I've had great results with the Boeshield T9 on my mountain bikes as well. After looking over a bunch of good products I decided to use it for storing my clean castings. It leaves a nice oily/waxy film that cleans off easily with mild solvents. One 12 oz spray can was enough for a nice thick coat inside and out on all the engine castings. After letting all the parts dry for a few days I wrapped them in plastic and shoved them onto a dry shelf. The 292 and I will sleep well now. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Bill C

Reading This Topic

Site Meter