Profile Picture

door alighnment 56 t-bird

Posted By jpepper 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Having problems with spacing even with the paint stick trick. Need to use spacers, but not a lot . Any help will be appreciated. John
Philip
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)

If the car has not had collision damage at some time you should be able to loosen the 4 bolts in the body pillar, 2 on top and 2 on bottom, and the 6 bolts on the other end of the door hinge and make the adjustment. Ford never did a good job from the factory on their door alignment. I know of no spacers you can use to make this gap adjustment but I have enlarged the hinge holes for more adjustment. If there was collision damage at some time I have split the fender at the door edge and welded it up to get the proper gap. A bigger problem T-birders have is the bottom rear door corners sticking out. This is caused by a weakening  of the bottom corner from age or rust and constant shutting of the door. Depending on the finish of the door this problem can be solved. It Takes a lot of patience and a helper when worker on this problem.
5557TBIRDJOHNM
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)

COOL PLACE 1ST TIME ON HERE GREAT PLACE FOR BABY BIRDS & Y-BLOCKS THERES ALOT MORE ON THIS BUT HERES ACOUPLE TRICKS I'VE FOUND & RAN INTO WHEN I WORKED ON 8 DIFFERENT BABY BIRDS THAT I'VE HAD I ONLY HAVE TWO NOW THEIR 20 FOOTERS A SNOW SHOE WHITE (55 COLOR) 56 ORIGINALLY GOLDEN GLOW YELLOW & BRONZE 57 WITH O/D PAINTED RAVEN BLACK AFTER 2-3 DAYS PLAYING WITH DOORS I FINALLY LOOKED FOR HELP AND FOUND WHEN ADJUSTING THE DOOR GAPS THERES DIFFERENT SIZE SHIMS & SPACERS USED BETWEEN BODY AND FRAME AT THE 6 FLOOR BRACES AND REAR OF DOOR AREA AND FRAME/BODY PUCKS TO RAISE OR LOWER THE BODY TO FIT THE DOOR INSTEAD OF FITTING THE DOOR BY HINGES TO THE BODY GAPS SOMETIMES THE BODY MOUNT RUBBER PUCKS ON THE FRAME WERE HARDEN OR SHRINKED AND FLATTEN OUT LOSEING HEIGHT I'VE SEEN SOME MISSING TOO THERES ALOT OF ADJUSTMENTS NOT JUST THE DOOR HINGES OR STRIKERS THIS IS ONE OF THE TUFFER JOBS ON BABY BIRDS BECAUSE OF THE WELDED/LEADED IN FRONT FENDERS ALSO THE LOWER REAR CONNERS WERE USALLY STICKING OUT FROM THE FACTORY ABOUT 1/8" + THERES AWAY TO CORRECT IT I NEVER TRYED IT BUT I SAW IT ON U-TUBE AND IT DID WORK IT TAKES SOME TIME THEY USED 4-5 LARGE C-CLAMPS AND 2 LONG WOOD BOARDS ONE WAS COVERED WITH RUBBER OR CARPET SO THE PAINT DID'NT GET MARKED UP IT MUST BE DONE SLOW & EASY TOO THERES NO TURNING IT BACK AND YOU DO'NT WANT PAINT TO CRACK THERE WAS ALOT TO IT I CAN'NT REMEMBER IT ALL THEY MIGHT HAVE WARMED UP THE AREA TOO SO THE PAINT DID'NT SPLIT IT'S A RISKY FIX ON A SHOW BIRD OFFCORSE THE BEST TIME TO DO IT WOULD BE DURNING A RESTORATION YOU WOULD BE BOWING THE LOWER DOOR EDGE INWARD AND YOU FIRST HAVE TO FIND THE CENTER POINT TO START BENDING MY DOORS HERE ON MY 56 & 57 HAVE A PRETTY GOOD ALINEMENTS THE BOTTOMS ARE FLUSH WITH ROCKERS http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d2d27d76-bdc0-4a2b-91f6-ece8.jpg
  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a6f7d5d4-7af3-4b9b-89ed-b03a.jpg LAST THING THE 55 HAD ONE CENTER BOLT IN HINGES THEN 56 57 HAD PUT 2 CENTER BOLTS IN HINGE PLATES FOR BETTER SURPORT THEIR EASY TO MAKE DRILL AND TAP I FOUND STRIPPED HOLES IN THESE ALOT OF TIMES TOO OK GOODLUCK 

paul2748
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
TBirdJohn - welcome - it's good to see another TBird owner here.

As a matter of internet etiquette, writing in all caps means you are shouting.  Just thought you would like to know.

Also makes it harder to read

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter