Profile Picture

Posted By jdwilker 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hey Folks,
New to this forum, but not to Y-blocks. Way back when I was in high school, my parents had a '57 Fairlane with a 312.  They would let me drive it to school to work on it in auto shop class. And when I would drive it I would drive it like a teenager. I've always wanted to get another and now I have - and not any just any Ford.  Last weekend I pulled a '57 Skyliner out of a barn on a ranch in the northern Sacramento Valley.  It sat in this dry, windowless barn for 43 years.  A rust-free, one owner and completely original car, it comes with a 292 automatic with about 140,000 miles.  As you can imagine, I'm thrilled with it and just getting started peeling away layers of dust and mouse debris to see what I have here.  Given the mileage and wanting to do this right, I may want to pull the engine and have it rebuilt by someone more knowledgeable than I.  My first question to the membership is if anyone knows of a re-builder in the Seattle/Western Washington area experienced with Y-blocks?  I look forward to posting my progress and picking your brains as I bring this car back.

2721955meteor
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Ihave 2 short blocks,1 is 292 .040 over size new pistons with molley rings,reground came to 57 312 specs, new lifters,new oil pump,timeing chain and gears.Ilive in surrey bc 15min from blain border.. asking 1200 us with your core.i could redo your heads as i am out of eczg heads. the engine has a pan and front cover for a car. if interested phone at 778 574 1940,or e mail at ct1940@shaw.ca
this engine short block is a proper reman ,no short cuts.  cliff
jdwilker
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)

Thanks Cliff, that sounds like a good deal.  However, I think this is the original engine (haven't had a chance to check the numbers).  If it is, I will be more inclined to rebuild it.  If not, I may just give you a call.
Jim
YBLOCKMERC
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Where are you located? I had my 292 rebuilt by Pacific Auto Machine in Renton. They rebuild all the Y-blocks for one of the top T-Bird restorers in the country who lives in Newcastle. This is a very small shop who know the Ys inside and out. Talk to Gary @ 425.226.0930; tell him Marc sent you. BTW, I only live a couple of miles away from the shop so if you go down there, give me a call @ 425.235.8383 and stop by.

Marc
'54 Merc ragtop
Pt Townsend, WA   
      http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e83cf74f-a3dc-4e1a-a928-8075.jpg                                                                                                                             

jdwilker
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hey Marc, thanks for the tip.  Sounds like I'm going to give them a call when I get the engine out. Until then I have more mousey surprises ahead.
jdwilker
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Oh and by the way, your Merc looks awesome.  How long have you had it?  I live out on the Key Peninsula so I'm not too far away.
YBLOCKMERC
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Thanks Jim, I've had it since 1992. It's a fun road car.
I'm familiar with the Key Peninsula. I've camped at Penrose Pt. a number of times. It's one of the closest getaway spots I can think of. Great place to kayak.
There is a very active Retractable group in the Seattle area. I can get you contact info if you need it. That T-Bird restorer I mentioned has a supercharged '57 Skyliner also.

Marc
'54 Merc ragtop
Pt Townsend, WA   
      http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e83cf74f-a3dc-4e1a-a928-8075.jpg                                                                                                                             

jdwilker
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Marc, if you'd forward that contact #, I'd love to pick their brains.
NoShortcuts
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

jdwilker (2/15/2015)
Thanks Cliff, that sounds like a good deal.  However, I think this is the original engine (haven't had a chance to check the numbers).  If it is, I will be more inclined to rebuild it.  If not, I may just give you a call.
Jim

Welcome to the site, Jim.  Unlike some other vehicle makes, numbers on your y-block engine do not directly correspond to your vehicle's data plate VIN number.  IF you're a purist looking to do a 'correct' restoration, casting ID letters/numbers and/or casting date codes on the engine block or cylinder heads are the only thing to be concerned about that I can think of.  IF the casting ID letters/numbers are correct, then the engine casting date codes need to be prior to the production date code for the vehicle.

When you dig into the cost of rebuilding your original vehicle's y-block engine, you will quickly realize that the engine Cliff has offered to sell you is well worth considering.  You can't go through a y-block for the price he has quoted.  IF your engine has 140,000 miles on it, plan on some significant machine shop work coupled with numerous replacement parts.  While all 'rebuilt' engines are not equivalent to others, Cliff is one of our regular Forum participants who has a well grounded career in engine rebuilding.

Car restoration is a time consuming and a costly endeavor.  Rebuilding your engine is likely a small piece of what will need to be done to get your car road-able again.  Regardless of how much you are able to do yourself, most of us find that we have more cash, time, and sweat equity in our vehicle undertakings than we can feel good about IF we are forced to sell them.  Unless you enjoy and get personal satisfaction from what you do yourself, all of this will get 'old' long before you're near the finish line.  Put another way, it is not unusual to be 'upside-down' in a vehicle that you've brought back from 50 plus years of normal existence in our country.  Comparing your actual monetary 'investment' with actual 'market value' can be frustrating IF you can't view all of this as a personally rewarding hobby.  Smile

The above has been REVISED for accuracy of information. 

Regards,     

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
jdwilker
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Charlie Brown, I agree with you wholeheartedly.  I have been rebuilding cars for 40 years now and here I am doing it again (much to the disbelief of my wife).  For many years I focused on British sports cars, MGB's in particular.  My last project was a '49 scruby 1/2 ton pickup.  I have consistently lost money on these projects, but continue to go down this road. I know, it's an affliction (Isn't admitting it the first step to recovery?).  But like they say "It isn't the destination, it's the ride".  The process of finding a car that's seen better years, taking it down to it's bones and bringing it back is what gets me going.
When I got my first look at this '57, I could barely believe my good luck. Up here in the Pacific Northwest, if you have an older, possibly collectable car, it's traditional to first park it in a cow pasture for 20 years.  Then when it's covered in rust and moss, post it on Craigslist for big bucks. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled up the carpet on a car only to find a hole where your feet are supposed to go.  On this Skyliner, when I pulled up the carpet, I found floor pans with the original paint - they looked brand new.  Then I got down to look at the underside.  If I hadn't been lying on the ground I would have keeled over because it had been undercoated when new.  That's how solid this body is.
Thanks for info on block numbers and that ringing endorsement of Cliff.  I think I will be contacting him.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter